Thread: Question about Batteries

Default Question about Batteries

I know there is not a perfect answer for this... but here it is.

I've got a 2005 2500 with 110,000 miles and the original batteries. I am going on a trip next week where the temps may easily get down to 15 to 20. (at home it will stay around 40) The batteries are now about 7 years old... no problems. Do I replace them before the trip? How long have your batteries lasted? No unusual stresses on them and they have never been discharged.

Comments and thoughts welcomed.

Thanks,

Richard

Arrow

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

15-20° isn't that cold, to the batteries. Sub-zero, perhaps. Since they seem to be working well now, test them individually, if you have the time. Just disconnect one ground (secure it), and operate on one battery for a couple days. Repeat with the other battery (connect the ground, before disconnecting the other). If they do fine individually in your 40° weather, they'll do fine together in colder weather. If either battery seems to have an issue during the test, replace both.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Okay I am of the school of 'an ounce of prevention', and make my living with my truck.

7yr batteries are due for replacement. A big swing to either hot (most likely) or cold will often flesh out the weak battery. Why discover the likely outcome that your firewall mounted battery will fail on this trip, and you'll lose a 1/2 day in the process of replacement?

Bolt in a couple fresh Delcos from your GM dealer and travel in confidence.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Default Exactly...

Exactly where I am... between 2 very good rules to live by.

Here is my decision: I'll be on a hunting trip in the mountains... and it just isn't worth it to not replace them... which is a hard pill to swallow because I'm usually a "if ain't broke" kind of guy.

Richard

Don't worry about it, unlss you hear banjo music. . . . .
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

We recently did an injector job and noticed that whil ethe truck cranked OK it was just a bit lazy. Batteries were 5 years old as I recall. Mentioned to customer when he picked up the truck suggesting that at best this was his last winter on them since he winters in FL. A couple weeks later I got an email saying truck running great, but had to replace batteries on the road...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Default I replaced them..

And WOW.... I am amazed at how much faster the engine cranks during starting. One less thing to worry about.

Thanks to all....

Richard
    Franktown, Virginia