Yesss this is the kit I was refering

They do make the one called "fleet operations" or ??? and it just locks it up all the time.

The cable certainly eliminates the issues with the Thermal mickey mouse unit.

During bad weather I always want to leave the unit in 4x4, and with the thermal unit or even the solenoid motor unit, the thing unlocks as soon as the key is switched off.

I am a HUB type of girl. When things look the least bit hinky, I screw in the hubs and then let the chips fall where they may.

The more they overthink the plumbing the easier it is to plug up the drain

Last winter we had some snowy stuff and the weather up at the ranch was nasty compared to in town. I was at the grocery store and decided to give the hubs a twist while life was easy. (89 K5)

A young fellow was watching me twisting the hubs and came over to ask what I was doing ????????????

I explained the process to him and the reasons. His reply was, don't you find that EMBARACING to have to do all this stuff, and to get your hands dirty.

OMG
I laughed and explained to him that I would not be embaraced to do it butt naked in a blizzard, as it is positive and its nearly 100% reliable.

The electric units that the GMT 400 trucks came with always made me nervous every time the weather was bad.

Just not much you can do out on the road if the electric Gizmo quits.

Winter of 08 here saw nearly 4 feet of snow and I had the front end drop out on the BURB due to a broken wire.

Luckily it happened here at home and I was able to fix it.

Large hunk of ice/snow had gotten crammed over the front diff, and snagged the wires.

Overall a terrible design.

Just can't really say too much good about the IFS system.

Local fellow here has his 95 Burb converted to a 60 series Dana and leaf springs.
Has the large hubs too.

Now thats how it should be. simple and easy to use.

He took the concept of no electronics all the way.

He rewired things a bit and has a carbureted 502 BBC under the hood, running a no frills HEI distributor, a TH 400 tranny with an add on OD unit aft of the T case.

Just like the good old days, simple, reliable and no $#@!~ SES light to come on when your in the thick of it.

My vote goes for the cable system.

Missy