Thread: Off Road Diesel Allowance til Oct 5??

morgan Guest

Question

no time to search the posts right now, maybe this is old news....

Are some states allowing off road diesel to be used in commercial/private on-road trucks due to the fuel shortages? I read this in a local newspaper, but it was a short article with few details.

I'll take that! Maybe just a dirty rumor.

Hubert Guest

Not sure how you attach other posts or links. Here is the only official thing I have seen on offroad diesel.

I have heard bits of news and read pieces of articles about the EPA crying foul on Bush relaxing fuel restrictions and "blending" gas in wake of the storms. I did not hear any other plans after Rita. I assume its a local issue as many areas are not affected and maybe someone is trying to limit abuse'es.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/u...=009208#000000

DennisG01 Guest

The way I understand it is that it is OK to use dyed, but you are still responsible for paying the road taxes on the amount of dyed you use. How much are the taxes and how do you go about doing that? I don't know - it's more hassle than I want to deal with. The reasoning behind this allowance is it is for areas that don't have an adequate supply of clear diesel.

morgan Guest

It is now pushed out to Oct 15. Your article helped me to find an update. Thanks!!

http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=148123,00.html

Read carefully. the fuel station may be able to adjust the price for tax purposes, and could result in no financial benefit. If it is the same price as on-road diesel, I'd probably still do it for the lubricity advantage.

morgan Guest

Correction:

ends OCTOBER 5

not 15th

Arrow

Morgan

There is no lubricity advantage. The fuel you would receive would be no different, other than dye, than on-road fuel. The relax ordered by the IRS has no authority to bypass EPA requirements. Any relax on low sulfer requirements would occur accross the board, and include on-highway fuel. The order issued by President Bush is only directed toward the taxing methods. The normal consumer would not have any advantage with the relax.

The only advantage I could see would occur later, if during this relax, you got a tank of dyed fuel. If you have access to off-highway fuel, you could use it for a while, because your tank would already be contaminated with dye. There would be no reasonable way for them to tell when the fuel had dye in it.

If you have lubricity concerns, use a quality additive.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

morgan Guest

Thanks for the feedback.

I had always heard that it was "high sulfer" low-tax diesel, and that the dye was there to differentiate it. Now I'm bummed out.

For 6 months, I've been driving 16 miles each way to get Willie Nelson Biodiesel just for the novelty of it and to help support progressive fuel sources. At my truck's consumption rate, that's a gallon each way for me. Not fun right now. I'd rather get a Hardee's (Carl's Jr.) Six Dollar burger with my money. Same price as normal diesel. 20% soy oil, 80% diesel, exhaust smells like burnt beans.

Unless I was in a real bind, I would not put dyed fuel in mine. At this years "Diesel Page" Rendezvous member Bill L. from Florida mentioned getting stopped in Minnesota by a trooper and checked for dyed fuel in his D-Max pickup with camper. She (the trooper) said she spotted him comming from the opposite direction, she did a U turn in the commedian and pulled him over. He was fine, no red dye. Could it be she saw the Duramax emblems?
    I just returned from South Florida and they had a dyed fuel check at the state line, they didn't check my truck, just looked at the bill of lading and passed me through.
    I did see something unusual, a local Pennsylvania fuel semi-tanker (common carrier) from Eastern Pa. in South Florida. Could they be transporting fuel that far South?
    Tom McCauley (DP Member #513)
    "Tankers-ToyII" Loaded 05 D/A K-3500 CC, SRW. Deep pan on Allison w/Transyn. Edge Juice w/attitude, 4" Kennedy exhaust, 98 Gal. Transfer-Flow cross bed fuel tank, Leer 100XQ bed cap. Reese 14,000lb class V hitch w/ dual cam HP sway control. Tow 34ft. 32FKD Holiday Rambler travel trailer. GCW 20,360lbs

rameye Guest

Just to confuse things..

I watched the press conference when the pres. made the announcement. I was under the understanding that by suspending the standards it would allow the fuel to get moving right away. It made sense..suspend the EPA requirements temporarily, and not so much for the IRS.

Anyway I didnt realize the refineries have different blends for diff. EPA standards across the country. This action supposedly let everybody tool up once and keep it pumping.

another country heard from..