Thread: Hard Shifting into 3rd 4th & reverse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hard Shifting

The parts people told me it was a M20 but it is a top shift and the stick comes out easy ( twist the collar and pull up ) and the top of the transmission will come off but not sure if it will clear removal with out cutting floor some which I could do if I knew what I was looking for. I found a tag with Muncie and bar code and numbers but don't have it here with me. Will bring the tag home tomorrow and see if it correlates with anything. Thanks for your interest and I will post the numbers off the tag.

Arrow

It isn't a "Muncie 2x" transmission, then. It should be a SM465, which is a "Muncie" transmission. If it isn't shifting right, the problem is inside the tranny, or the clutch isn't de-clutching enough.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

Also, I doubt you'll be able to get the top cover off w/o removing the tranny. I don't think you can even drop it down enough to clear. It'll have to come out.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Default Hard Shifting

The tag number is 8672073 Muncie OKN and I think you are correct that it won't come out without opening the floor. Good news is that I drove it some and driving it helps to free it up some so i'll change the trans oil and put the Meyers blade on it and hope for no SNOW. Is there a good additive that helps the syncro rings ????

Arrow

I don't know of an additive dedicated to manual trannies, other than the "snake oils". A good (brand name) synthetic lube may be helpful, though. Many of the later model manual transmissions require ATF. If that's the case, and someone serviced it with gear lube, that could also cause shifting problems as the temps drop.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A