Thread: Flat towing with a tow bar

Default Flat towing with a tow bar

I'm going to be flat towing with a tow bar a 1972 Chevy 4x4 from Washington to Texas. I'll be going through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, New Mexico and Texas. It'll be around 2500 miles total. I'll be using my Suburban.

I'm pretty sure that the truck will need to be licensed to tow it. But will it need to be insured?
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Arrow

It may vary state to state to some degree, but normally no. As long as the tow vehicle is insured, it should cover a towed vehicle. We aren't required to insure trailers for liability, for the same reason. The towed vehicle isn't being operated in any sense, other than being present on the highway. If the car is on a trailer (no wheels down), it isn't required to be registered.

It would be much better on a trailer, for many reasons: Lighting. You'll need to tap into the towed vehicle wiring to connect tow vehicle; Vehicle wear. Towed vehicle will be turning one or both axles, 4 truck tires and front steering will be active; SAFETY. Towing 4-down with a tow bar places NO towed vehicle weight on the tow vehicle (offers no additional axle bearing, to increase surface friction for control and braking), and no towed vehicle braking unless you install a braking system (more costly than a trailer rental, or purchase in some cases). You'll be handling several steep grades on the route, and an additional 5000# or more on the tow vehicle with no tongue weight will remove a lot of control. The Suburban's braking and suspension may not be up to the task for such a long trip, with all the grades you will encounter, with a heavy 4-down configuration.

The only drawbacks using a trailer are loss of economy. Trailer rental/purchase isn't free, and trailering will consume more fuel (4-down is much more aerodynamic). The economy factors may offset with a trailer when you consider everything. The added safety of trailering is worth something, as well.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Just for what it's worth. No matter what system you use for your proposed trip, DON'T, under any circumstances attempt Route 140, in south-eastern Oregon, with any kind of towing situation. Well, unless you really get a kick out of putting yourself in danger. There's a 13+ mile section (climbing, going south), that's out on the face of an escarpement, with switch-backs all the way, and no shoulder, and, no guard rails. Plenty of other roads to choose from that are much less risky. I did it once by mistake, with a trailer, and, scared myself spitless. Id do it again, solo, but never with a load behind me.
    Good luck.
    DW
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

I will be taking highway 84 through Oregon and Idaho. I agree with you, towing and switchbacks are to be avoided if at all possible.

I used a flat bed to haul my 82 diesel Suburban one time and it was pretty unstable. But I think it would have been much better with a weight distribution hitch. There was no happy medium on loading it on the trailer. Moving the Suburban as far forward as possible to increase tongue weight helped somewhat but it still didn't feel good.

I also used the tow bar to haul the 82 Suburban from CA to TX. There was an unsettling feeling at 63 mph and faster with this setup so I kept it at 55 mph and below. I had both vehicles loaded with stuff inside and on top and braking was terrible. I got 20 mpg average on the whole trip so aerodynamics must have been pretty good.

I've also got a tow dolly but it is too light weight to tow the 72 Chevy truck. One time I used a Lincoln Mark VIII to tow a mid 90's Cadillac using the tow dolly. It actually worked pretty good other than the tow dolly tires not being up to the task. The front end of a Northstar FWD Cadillac was a bit too heavy for that tow dolly.
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -3.73 gears

-Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

As for insurance, check with your agent. Generally (varies from state-to-state), trailers 3000lbs. or under are covered for liability. Over 3K or if you desire physical damage, the towed must be on the policy.

You may also find states you'll be transitting require brakes for tows over 3K lbs. - and maybe a tag and insurance.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Next Question:

Of the states listed (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, New Mexico and Texas), which states will allow me to tow 2 cars? I see it done all the time in Texas so which other states allow this? In the states that don't allow it, I'll disconnect and have my wife drive the vehicle.
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -3.73 gears

-Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Talking Ben there won't do it again

I agree with dmax use a trailer. I towed a f250 (oddly enough) with my '79 3/4 chev from Clovis NM to Midland Tx with a uhaul chain on tow bar. Will never do it again I had to stop every 20 or 30 miles to tighten and adjust the bar could not go over 50mph. That was just for 200 miles can't imagine doing that for that kind of distance.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
    Next Question:

Of the states listed (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, New Mexico and Texas), which states will allow me to tow 2 cars? I see it done all the time in Texas so which other states allow this? In the states that don't allow it, I'll disconnect and have my wife drive the vehicle.
    I don't know of any states that allow bumper to bumper to bumper towing. 5th wheel to bumper to bumper is allowed in some states, with a CDL. A 5th wheel won't (normally) fish-tail, but a bumper to bumper will. X2 would be a school of fish-tails. I wouldn't do it, even if it were legal. That many axles and weight would certainly require brakes on each axle, in any case. Just because you've seen it done, doesn't make it legal.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I have towed a 3/4 Sub with our 94 Burb 4x4 and used a tow bar.

This worked very very well with zero issues.

In my experience, a rig on a tow bar is normally a very happy tow.

This said, be sure that if the towed vehicle has an auto tranny that you unhook the rear driveshaft.

Leaving the shaft in and spinning will screw up the tranny, as there is no oil flow with the engine off.

That Chevy 4x4 should follow along like a puppy on a string.

a few years ago I drove down to LA and towed a Ford Bronco back up here to Newberg Or, I used a 95 Burb 2500 4X4 with a 454 to do the task.

We put the Bronco on a car trailer, the only thing I did not like was the height, but it was fine.

This was an Interstate 5 show all but maybe 25 miles and that was good secondary road, so no biggy.

Now consider this, many many folks travel with their large motor homes and tow various rigs as a "Dinghy", this never seems to be an issue as far as insurance or ????

I really dont think you shold have any issues.

Lighting is no biggy either, I would stop off at your fav parts store and pick up a set of these magnetic traler lights.

I Have a set and they are great, just plug them into the tow rig, run the wire harness down one side of the towed rig and stick the mag lights on the back.

As its a pickup that your towing, leave the tailgate down and stick the lights on either side just at the end of the bed.

Pretty straight forward and simple.

Interstate 84 is a very good slab all the way from Portland to Idaho.
    The run from PDX to Pendleton is pretty boring and mostly flat with a little climb as you leave the Columbia gorge and head onto the plateu of the east side.

Once you leave Pendleton you got a 6.5% climb over the blue mts, but its not a long one. The run on to LaGrande and then to Baker and into Idaho is a nice run.

Good luck and be safe

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thought I would report back since I've completed the trip. I had no issues (other than having to pay for ridiculously high fuel prices) and the Suburban handled the load very well. Both vehicles were loaded to the hilt. The whole setup would have probably tipped the scales at around 16k lbs. If I delayed anyone on this board who got stuck behind, I apologize. I had plenty of power but the 1972 truck had old tires so I kept the speeds down to under 60 mph. The toughest pass was probably Deadmans Pass through Oregon on I-84 and the Cummins pulled it in overdrive at 50 mph with some throttle to spare. I got just a hair over 20 mpg average while towing.

I also installed some seats out of a Cadillac Sixty Special that are much more comfortable than the OE Suburban seats.

-Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -3.73 gears

-Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Check towing laws in all states you intend to travel through.

Most states require anything that is being towed with a weight over 3000 lbs (some are less than that) have brakes on the trailer that are activated when the towing vehicle activates it's brakes.

I will NEVER flat tow a vehicle without a portable braking device installed. They make a machine that attaches to your brake pedal, hooks up through trailer wiring to a brake controller and will utilize towed vehicles brakes like trailer brakes.

Without doing this, you can be ticketed in most states. I know several RVers who've been busted flat towing a car behind their RV and never knew of the requirement because they never looked it up.

Here's a guide to state requirements. http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Quote Originally Posted by AKMark View Post
    Check towing laws in all states you intend to travel through.

Most states require anything that is being towed with a weight over 3000 lbs (some are less than that) have brakes on the trailer that are activated when the towing vehicle activates it's brakes.

I will NEVER flat tow a vehicle without a portable braking device installed. They make a machine that attaches to your brake pedal, hooks up through trailer wiring to a brake controller and will utilize towed vehicles brakes like trailer brakes.

Without doing this, you can be ticketed in most states. I know several RVers who've been busted flat towing a car behind their RV and never knew of the requirement because they never looked it up.

Here's a guide to state requirements. http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/
    Thanks, I took the chance and didn't get caught. I actually saw a lot of cops during the trip but they were busy with more important / profitable issues such as a horrible traffic fatality I passed by. So far, this is my 3rd trip flat towing a vehicle more than 2000 miles without issues. One trucker told me that if I kept my speed down and drove safely that it was unlikely that traffic enforcement would cause me any issues.
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -3.73 gears

-Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

It all depends on the cops.

However keep in mind for future reference, if you were in an accident, you'd be at fault, no matter what happened, and your insurance company wouldn't cover any of your damage, just the minimum they would have to with the other party because you were doing something illegal, just an FYI.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Quote Originally Posted by AKMark View Post
    It all depends on the cops.

However keep in mind for future reference, if you were in an accident, you'd be at fault, no matter what happened, and your insurance company wouldn't cover any of your damage, just the minimum they would have to with the other party because you were doing something illegal, just an FYI.
    OK, good to know and luckily no drunks plowed into the back of me because it would have been me thrown into jail rather than them.
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -3.73 gears

-Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    I don't know of any states that allow bumper to bumper to bumper towing. 5th wheel to bumper to bumper is allowed in some states, with a CDL. A 5th wheel won't (normally) fish-tail, but a bumper to bumper will. X2 would be a school of fish-tails. I wouldn't do it, even if it were legal. That many axles and weight would certainly require brakes on each axle, in any case. Just because you've seen it done, doesn't make it legal.
    Legal here in Idaho. Seen it done all the time so I asked about it. ISP said do it if I want to. No issues here. But like said it would scare the hell out of me. Maybe a bumperr pull behind my 5er but that would be it. Seen a good one the other day. A side by side with four atv's on a bumper pull flat bed with a tent trailer behind that. Just plain spooky to me.
    2004 Chevy K3500 CCLB DRW Duramax. Stock.

1992 Sea Ray 300DA. 30 plus foot Express Cruiser on a trailer. 13,500# boat and trailer and 69' of combined length rolling. Over length/width permitted load.

SOLD-95 GMC K2500 SLE 6.5L TD, Relocated PMD to bumper #9 res., Custom Lowes special induction tube, Triple gauges on the pillar EGT, Trans, Boost, High Idle Mod, TCC-Lock up Mod, Custom Back up camera, DIY Manual Wastegate Controller, 4" from down tube to 5" stacks, Vac Pump Removed,2007 wheels, WMI by Cooling Mist 8gph @3psi 11gph on demand

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jhornsby3 View Post
    Legal here in Idaho. Seen it done all the time so I asked about it. ISP said do it if I want to. No issues here. But like said it would scare the hell out of me. Maybe a bumperr pull behind my 5er but that would be it. Seen a good one the other day. A side by side with four atv's on a bumper pull flat bed with a tent trailer behind that. Just plain spooky to me.
    Check again. It isn't legal in Idaho. Ball behind 5th wheel is OK (still requires a CDL). No ball behind ball. I see it all the time here also, and it's just as "legal". Local agriculture is exempt in Idaho (as in CA), but many more limitations apply. Ball to ball towing isn't legal in any state, as it applies to passenger vehicles. The tent trailer / flatbed wasn't legal. Doesn't mean you didn't see it, though. Amusement parks notwithstanding.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

[QUOTE=Edahall;293630]Thought I would report back since I've completed the trip. I had no issues (other than having to pay for ridiculously high fuel prices)

QUOTE]

Edahall, I can't PM you at this point, so I'm hoping you still pick up this thread. Two questions, what Tow Bar did you use? How did you hook it up to the 72?
    I'm looking to flat tow a 78 F150 for about 150 miles. I'm not sure how to hook up the tow bar and see that you have. Should be the same I'd think.

Default Well . . .

Now consider this, many many folks travel with their large motor homes and tow various rigs as a "Dinghy", this never seems to be an issue as far as insurance or ????
    Yes, but as the RV'ers plan to use them at their destination the vehicles are usually registered and insured.
    1982 K5 Blazer 4wd w/ 6.2 turbodiesel (Banks Sidewinder) w/ rear disk brakes, more to come . . .