Thread: Rattle and bang!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rattle and bang!

Yesterday while merging onto the freeway at about 60 mph, I heard a rattle, followed by a bang, followed by a cloud of black smoke, followed by all of my oil and coolant falling out of my oil pan. Three huge holes blown out the bottom of the pan. So, I pretty much know that my truck threw a rod and destroyed the block (And I just put $3,000 into new tires and all new front end components last week!)

I just towed it into the local GM dealer to have the damage assessed and repairs estimated. The pain is still raw and I'm still undecided if I should replace the motor or scrap the truck.

My problem is, the truck had pretty much everything I ever wanted in a 6.5, short of a gear splitter. I'm not sure if the dealer can even replace what I had with a good aftermarket long block or if they can even replace it at all.

If I can get it replaced, any suggestions on engine supplier, warnings or advice on getting this work done, anything? I'm at a lost and sooo bummed.
    1994 K1500 6.5L, 196k truck/30k engine, 18:1 ceramic coated pistons, EGR delete, CAT delete, Vac delete, Turbo Master, Max-E-Tork tune, hiflo water pump, bumper-mount PMD, 4L80E, 4" pipes, 3" lift, 275-70-18s ... DEAD ... Awaiting a new engine block

If the truck is good, I would look at an AMG optimizer 6500
    Direct drop in and its got all the updates in the block and heads.

Use your accessories, IP, injectors, manifolds etc.

The aftermarket is sketchy

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Cool. Thanks Missy. The truck is awesome. Super clean and no problems until yesterday. It's been my baby.

Can I order one direct from AMG (American General, I assume?)? Any suggestions on where/who to have do the removal/install? The truck is at a dealership now ... seems like they should be able to handle it.

Since I get a fresh start, is it safe to assume that 18:1, no vacuum, no EGR, etc is still the way to go?
    1994 K1500 6.5L, 196k truck/30k engine, 18:1 ceramic coated pistons, EGR delete, CAT delete, Vac delete, Turbo Master, Max-E-Tork tune, hiflo water pump, bumper-mount PMD, 4L80E, 4" pipes, 3" lift, 275-70-18s ... DEAD ... Awaiting a new engine block

The factory gm replacement engine the dealer would put in will be an amg optimizer. Part of the deal when gm sold the 6.5 to amg was they had to supply replacement engines. It will be pretty expensive getting it done though the dealership. Another option would be a used optimizer from Ted's trucks, and swap it in yourself.
    94 6.5l Blazer, mint condition
    94 C2500 6.5/nv4500 future dyno mule

Well the stealership wants $16,000 to replace the engine. They won't do just a long block though, they will only do it if I replace the injection pump and turbo with it. The local diesel performance shop will install a long block for $4000 labor plus parts. Looks like the AMG long block is about $8000 so I'm looking at $12k!

Are reman engines worth it? Is a long block worth it? The truck is so nice I hate to scrap it but it's not worth the $12k either ...

We deal with AMG long blocks and are considerably less than $8k. I wouldn't trust much of anything else.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!