Thread: Which fan/fan clutch do I really want?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down Which fan/fan clutch do I really want?

I have a 98 K3500 w/ the 6.5L diesel engine. I've got all sorts of work and upgrades in process but I'm confused about one thing - the fan and clutch.

The stock fan is 9 blade, but not sure about size. After reading a bit, I ordered an ACDelco 15-80690 thinking it was an upgraded fan but it looks almost identical to what I have now, only plastic.

So my first question is what fan am I really looking for?

Then comes the fan clutch. The Kennedy fan is highly recommended but I'm really not wanting to spend $175 on the fan clutch if I don't have to. I also hear a lot about the Hayden units but they have enough different versions to make my head spin, and they're pretty pricey too. I'm also confused about the bolt on vs thread on, but I'm pretty sure mine is bolt on as there's four bolt holes on the WP hub.

So what brand/model of clutch do I want? Keep in mind that my truck needs to pull a 12,000 pound fifth wheel through the mountains in upper Michigan during the summer when temps can routinely run up to 100 degrees, and of course, I need my A/C too.

If someone could give me part numbers or a place to pick this stuff up at, at a good cost, I couldn't thank you enough. I'd even purchase these from someone on here if they're available!

Chris
    Last edited by campionc; 10-31-2014 at 21:04.