Thread: Two weeks - two 4L80E transmissions....

markrinker Guest

#2 shucked reverse a couple weeks back. Given the high mileage (160K) and service/revenue it had produced, I kept my cool and replaced it with a remanufactured unit. Things happen, right?

Today was hauling with #3 (2003 6.0 gasser with 4L80E). Lost overdrive and reverse immediately after executing a rolling shift of the transfer case from 4WD to 2WD. (Manual, floor shifted transfer case.) I did overshoot the xfer case shift, hitting neutral (at the tranfer case) and brought it back into 2WD while rolling about 45mph in overdrive. I never thought a missed transfer case shift on a 'shift on the fly' system could take out a tranny. It can, folks...

39K miles - just 3K miles out of 3/36 warranty.
    The service manager is looking into the problem to "see what he can do."

I am pricing a 2005 Duramax/Allison cab/chassis. May well trade #3 and #1 and move on to the new age of HUGE payments - but no huge repair expense worries - for 100K miles anyway.

[ 01-13-2005, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Kennedy Guest

They should be able to get this "goodwilled" from GM....

markrinker Guest

Took truck #2 on a 750 mile thrash yesterday with new 25' trailer and 4K cargo in tow. All went well, new tranny seems a bit noisier than I recall. Could be I was getting used to quieter cab on #3.

In case its the transfer case 'complaining' - what should I expect to spend on a used or rebuilt transfer case? What model do I need for 1994's? Is it a 241 like the one below?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

autocrosser Guest

check the number of splines on the transmission output shaft. I believe the diesel has more than the gassers(32???)but I'm not sure.

Mark, What did the trans in #2 end up costing you? Did you price out the ATS and the suncoast and if so how much coin?
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

markrinker Guest

I opted for a plain jane rebuilt with 1 year, unlimited mile warranty. Total cost including labor was $2300.

markrinker Guest

UPDATE: GM is covering the issue under warranty.

To date, they have attempted to replace a 'fork and slide' assembly in the transfer case that looked scarred. GM sent an updated slide, but the old style fork. No go. Parts department has an original slide coming from Bumfukct, Eygpt so it sounds to me like the transfer case will be returned to its original (flawed) condition by tomorrow.

The transmission is still bolted to the motor, up on the hoist. Third working day since the failure. This could take awhile...

*** SIGH ***

Hey Mark I had that happen to me just after I bought my Yukon literally. I flew to Flint Michigan and was an hour and a half out of Flint when the Yukon seemed to miss once then I lost everything. I was able to coast to the top of the freeway exit. I wasn't sure if it was rearend, tranny, or transfer case so I went through all the gears nothing, tried putting it in 4 hi. no-go, 4 lo and I could crawl off the freeway. Well I got a hold of the broker and he had me towed back to Flint (his dime) set me up with a tranny shop he deals with and split the cost of the re-build (wholesale) ended up being the fork in the transfer case. The new shaft was too long so after trying all kinds of different things we just cut the shaft of the new one to the exact lenth of the old one and voila I'm down the road after a full tranny/transfer case rebuild costing me around $850 or so. The tranny guys said this is common in these transfer cases as they loose their oil and the forks get chewed up.
    Phil
    2007 Metallic Blue GMC Crew Cab 2500HD LBZ Allison. 70K mi, 255/85r16 tires.

1996 GMC 2Dr 4wd Yukon 190k mi, 3.42 rear end, 265/75r16 tires, 4l80e, 97 cooling mod, D-max fan blade, Hayden Severe duty fan clutch, Autometer Boost EGT Tranny temp, JK's 3.5 exhaust.

Reno NV.