Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

Hy Guys,

I new here, I live in regional Western Australia.

A dream of mine is about to be fulfilled.

I'm about to purchased a a mobile home and travel around Australia and am about to check out a 1976 Denning coach converted to a mobile home, this rig is fitted with a 4-71 4 cylinder Detroit diesel behind an Eaton 5 speed gear box.

I never heard of a 4-71 until now , I have drivven 6V92 and 8V71 coach's.

So my concern is about power being in mind I plan to tow a 4.5 ton rated trailer.

The owner says this rig will cruise at 90-100km/h, 100km/h being the which is the max speed limit anyway.

Does anyone here know anything about this combo, any good and or is it possible or realistic to upgrade.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Kappy
    Last edited by Kappy; 02-14-2016 at 18:24.

Hi Kappy
    The 4-71 Detroit diesel is a 4 cylinder with each cylinder 71 cubic inches. similar to the 8v71,as they use the same cylinders.Not a real powerhouse,but should be good at leaking oil.Detroit's used to be referred to the as the "green leaker".Some have a turbo added as well as the supercharger.Then it becomes a 4-71T or if it is v configured 4v-71t.
    If you can find a older diesel wrench he or she may be able to squeeze a few more ponies from it.Beware doing any injector work on it.If you don't set up the rack right on it,you can get a runaway engine that will destroy it's self if you can't shut it down.Been there and it's scary.
    But the old Detroit will take a licking and keep screaming away for years.
    I was taught when you drive a truck with a Detroit,slam your fingers in the door so you drive the truck pissed off at it.The only one in my fleet now is in a Champion grader it is a 6-71.
    I was told to only use straight weight oil in them like 30w or 10w in winter.15w40 or any other multi grade will just leak extra oil.I found that to be true in my 6-71T that i had in a Ford L 8000.It would leave a puddle out of the air box that looked awful,switched to straight weight oil and it almost disappeared.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews