Thread: Solar for Fiver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Your system is very similar to mine.....the only comment I could make is adding another battery bank to your system. I added another pair of 6v batteries. My travel trailer had limited space so I bought a Marine Battery Box (holds both batteries) and bolted it down in the bed of my pick up. I picked up 4 Anderson 125 amp welding wire plugs and 10 ft. each of #2 black and red welding cable. I hooked this to a marine battery bank switch. I can use either bank or both and disconnect the system. I also have the hot side fused at the battery.

We have used this system for the last 4 years. We are on the road 4-5 months every summer and boondock extensively. I changed all the interior lights to LED which cut down our amp use. After I installed my system I ran all my appliances that I would run with the system to create a baseline for each one......I kept detailed records for the first year and now I don't worry about it. I just monitor the Trimetric and let the system work. We normally don't get below 70% discharge on the batteries (you probably know not to let them discharge below 50%) We are usually charged back up to 100% daily. After reading numerous sources I moved my charge end point up to 14.8 volts as most charge controllers are set two low to totally charge the batteries. I check my water once a week and rarely have to top it off as the controller does a great job of not boiling the batts.

Enyoy!
    Former 2003 Chev. D/A CC, Snug Top shell, Prodigy, 2003 Arctic Fox 30U, Alternator mt. fuel filter.....basically stock truck.

2012 Ram Megacab 3500, Snug Top, same trailer, stock truck

GO DUCKS

GOD BLESS THOSE WHO PROTECT AND SERVE!

I've been talking about putting solar into our off grid cabin for a few years now. Thinking I might finally do it this year. I can do anything I want with my little 2000w Honda but having lights on at any time would sure be nice...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

If you want to slide over to RV.net there is a lot of solar rv applications there.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold