Thread: Np243c transfer case

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Np243c transfer case

I just rebuilt the np243c transfer case in my 96 k2500 i got it re installed but I had to take the motor off to shift the case into 2wd with a wrench so that I could twist the output shaft and line up the input shaft of the transfer case with the transmission . Anyway I got it all mounted and shifted the transfer case back to the position it would line up with the motor and bolted the motor on hooked up the harness plugs to the motor and transfer case I tried shifting it without the engine running and I heard it try to shift so I figure that it would be ok once I got the Trans full of oil and run the engine to help line things up well I filled everything up and started the truck shifted the transmission into gear and I heard the gears grind and then the transfer case shifted into 2wd the 2wd light in the switch came on and now truck would move forward and back but now when I push the button to shift into 4wd the lights in the 4 hi and 4 lo switch flash and I can hear a relay click in the dash but the lights just flash for a few seconds but no transfer case motor noise I tried rocking the truck forward and back a little to see if it would help the transfer case shift but it didn't . Anyway any ideas did I fry my tramssfer case motor ?
    Thanks Shaun
    1996 k2500 extended cab automatic trans electric shift transfer case reman engine with 70,000 miles reman trans 60,000 miles

Ok I went back out again when I push the 4 hi switch nothing no light flashing or anything but when I push the 4 Lo switch the lights will flash then finally the 4 lo Light will come on steady but I have no gears shifting the transmission from drive to reverse I can hear the motor on the transfer case working but I don't think it's going far enough to engage the gears when I shift the transfer case back to 2wd I can hear gears grind and then it will engage 2wd any ideas
    Thanks Shaun
    1996 k2500 extended cab automatic trans electric shift transfer case reman engine with 70,000 miles reman trans 60,000 miles

Thumbs down

At least I didn't come to a Chevy drive train forum

Both of mine are manual shift t-cases, so I can’t help you with the electric shift version. Does it turn point-to-point? If so, it may need to be properly indexed if it is not getting to the ends of each point.

I’d start by bench testing the actuating motor to make sure it is working properly.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Thanks for the reply ya I can shift through all the ranges with a small crescent wrench I bought a new motor and installed because the original wouldn't not shift at all the new one will shift to 4 hi but not lo so I took it back off to make sure that the transfer case would shift through all Ranges manually and it will so I guess I will reinstall the motor and see what happens

I like trbankii idea about having to index the motor when you install it. I'm guessing you have to have it and the transfer case in a known position so everyone is on the same page.
    There is probably some installation instructions someone has. Maybe they'll see this and post them.
    Good Luck!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC