Thread: Allision getting warm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Allision getting warm

Ok, it just started this morning driving to work. Noticed the temps steadily climbing up to close to the 200 mark which is way out of norm for my truck. I read earlier posts on this and I haven't throwing any codes yet. Heard a strange squeak or high pitch sound for just a brief second or so and wasn't quite sure if it was me or not. From what I gathered reading the older post that the converter can warm things up with no codes. So I'm heading over to my buddies transmission shop to see what he can find in the morning. Any other ideas or direction that will help out? Thanks!!
    Oneton
    2002 3500HD Pewter/lt grey interior Crew Cab 4x4 LT Durmax/Allison

Depending on conditions I expect the average Allison 5 speed to run approx. 100°f over ambient.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Thanks John. It was just in normal morning commute traffic and has never been this high in those conditions since I bought the truck new. Maybe in the dead of the FL summer, in stop and go traffic, it would climb up but not this high. The truck is at the shop now so we'll see what he comes back with.
    Oneton

Arrow

Stop-n-go city traffic during the hottest months of summer is one of those conditions when the transmission will run closer to engine coolant temperature. It's due to an unlocked torque converter and frequent stops where you're holding the truck still, but the transmission is in drive. It's just due to friction, and is likely normal.

Running in Tow/Haul mode can help, but it might be necessary only while towing at slow speeds.

Thanks for the reply MP. I understand and running in tow/haul mode in that traffic definitely keeps things a litter cooler. Been doing it for years down here. What is happening right now is not normal. I know the temp don't seem extreme right now ( +20 according to John's 100 degree above ambient temp) but something is going on. I've owed this truck from new and know her like the back of my hand. Also, engine temp is holding normal at about 180, which the two always ran neck to neck.
    Oneton

Ok, brought the truck back tonight. They couldn't replicate the conditions on the short trips with the scanner so I'll run it on Monday and swing in after the drive back home. He's thinking maybe a faulty sensor but it still doesn't explain the noise I heard.
    Oneton