Blew one, last Spring, when I was feeling poorly, and relied on someone else to chase all the fuses. Result: AAA paid for a tow, and I paid the local Chevy emporium for a couple of hours of time, just to find the blown fuse. Fast forward to late Sept. and another blown fuse at startup, with a 15 second search under the hood disclosing the problem and we're on our way again, with misgivings. Since I had 190 K showing, I decides to rip out the starter and the alternator and have the local Mennonite handyman shop do their magic. Got two, basically brand new units back, the starter including new solenoid and drive. Two thousand miles later, here in sunny Port Charlotte FA, I came out of a Chinese restaurant and the dang fuse blew again after a couple of turns of the starter! Changed the fuse {a 50 A being the only one on hand} and it's going on it's marry way.

So, I thought I was on the right path, as the guys at Ferrels', back home thought that the old solenoid would quite possibly be the culprit, what with all the old-age and oxidation going on in there. What are some of your thoughts on the cause, and, or, cures of my problem. Don't know at this time if the 50 A fuse will hold indefinitely or not. Don't like the feeling of potential over-heating of wires. Though, I fail to see how dangerous two seconds of cranking could be. Your experience and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, DW