Thread: Broken king-pin box on 5th wheel.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unfortunately, it's not that uncommon. His frame is probably built by Lippert Components, who make most trailer frames for nearly all the towable RV manufacturers these days. Lippert has had a few issues over the years with the frame breaking around the pin box. There's probably not much that Keystone or Lippert will do on a 10-year old rig, but it might be worth a call to either one. I will get you the customer service numbers tomorrow, if I don't forget.

Otherwise, just plan on having someone drop the bulkhead (plastic/fiberglass covering on the bottom), and weld in some bracing on the pin box. It's not big of a job, other than usually the trailer is not near a welding shop when this needs to be addressed. Sometimes you can find a good, mobile welder in situations like this.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not that uncommon. His frame is probably built by Lippert Components, who make most trailer frames for nearly all the towable RV manufacturers these days. Lippert has had a few issues over the years with the frame breaking around the pin box. There's probably not much that Keystone or Lippert will do on a 10-year old rig, but it might be worth a call to either one. I will get you the customer service numbers tomorrow, if I don't forget.

Casey
    That my friend is interesting. Currently shopping for a Glendale Titanium and after 08, they used the Lippert underpinnings. Previously they made their own but it would seem they had a similar problem with the pin box and the goose neck coming apart. If I read this correctly, looks as if the problem continued after the adoption of the Lippert chassis.

On the positive side, looks as if this means I can look at any age of Titanium as it seems I will have to break into the goose neck anyways to reinforce the structure. Much better pricing on the 2000 to 2007s.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Quote Originally Posted by convert2diesel View Post
    That my friend is interesting. Currently shopping for a Glendale Titanium and after 08, they used the Lippert underpinnings. Previously they made their own but it would seem they had a similar problem with the pin box and the goose neck coming apart. If I read this correctly, looks as if the problem continued after the adoption of the Lippert chassis.

On the positive side, looks as if this means I can look at any age of Titanium as it seems I will have to break into the goose neck anyways to reinforce the structure. Much better pricing on the 2000 to 2007s.

Bill
    I wouldn't be too concerned about purchasing a used rig. As long as you understand there might need to be some upgrades made, you'll be find. Kind of like owning a 6.5L: you go in knowing there are some weak areas that need to be addressed!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Customer service numbers:

Lippert Components: 574-537-8900

Keystone RV: 866-425-4369

Make sure you have your Year, make, model, and VIN handy when calling. Also, if you can find a Lippert ID sticker on the frame, that would be helpful too.

Casey