Thread: 6.2 to a 6.5TD swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OIL PRESSURE PORT.

If you don't need it plug it with a pipe plug.

Its on the same line as the one in the rear that the oil pressure switch goes to.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Perfect. Thanks. Could a guy plug in a oil temp probe in that hole? I like gauges, makes me feel important.
    85 crew cab one ton, 4x4. 6.2 diesel w/ 4 speed manual. Ranger overdrive/gear splitter installed. 2" rough country lift kit.

Hole not deep enough.

Real time useful oil temp would be a probe in the pan to measure what the engine is working with.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Word, thanks. I'm checking out to work for a couple of weeks. Got a list of stuff to get ordered and when I get home I'll start putting it all together. Should have more questions at that point as well. Thanks for all your help so far! I'll post some pics when I've got something cool to show.
    85 crew cab one ton, 4x4. 6.2 diesel w/ 4 speed manual. Ranger overdrive/gear splitter installed. 2" rough country lift kit.

Be safe
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

So, I'm back from work and sorting through parts and pieces in more than a little dismay. Turns out the coolant pump backing plate from the 6.2 does not line up with the new water pump, so I had to order that. The dipstick tube off the 6.2 doesn't want to work on this 6.5 either. I haven't quite figured out how the AC compressor and alternator brackets off a 93 bolt up to the engine, I'm hoping when I actually have the compressor and alternator on hand it will make a little more sense. Tomorrow I'll start mocking up the turbo and make sure I understand all that. I'm still waiting on an injection pump and the associated parts and pieces. Unfortunately not a lot of progress to report.

I think I've got the new brackets sorted out. Took them down and had them powder coated, got them home and tried putting them on the engine...and...discovered I needed to grind some metal off the power steering/tensioner pulley bracket for it to fit around the new dual t-stat housing. Now it wants to be re-powder coated. bummer.
    So, another question, can I re-use the flywheel off the 6.2 on this 6.5?