Thread: Diesel Governor Recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Diesel Governor Recommendations

So my new 700r4 has a gas governor in it, which is throwing off my shifting points. Looking for a diesel governor to replace it with, any recommendations on brand/where to buy?

1988 K10 suburban with a Goodwrench 6.5, fullfloating 14 bolt rear and 3/4 ton 10bolt

(1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Thanks Robyn! I had seen that already just didn't know anything about Sonnax and their quality. But I'll give it a shot!

So, it seems to be a success. Prior to the diesel governor, it wouldn't shift from 1-2 until 26mph, 2-3 at 35mph, and 3-4 at 40mph. Now that the diesel governor is installed, it actually seems to shift earlier (doesn't seem to be a bad thing): 1-2 is at 10mph, 2-3 is at 20mph, but then 3-4 isn't until 45mph, and it seems to hold 4th really well vs before it wouldn't. Trans temp stayed right at 200 degrees, which is warm, but maybe not considering it's 95 degrees here in north Florida. No leaks anywhere, and it moves through the gears pretty well and fasts too.

Default Not out of the woods yet

So it seems, after a few test drives, I may not be out of the woods yet. While the shift points seem to be okay, the trans does not seem to want to down shift when getting on the throttle. Particularly in highway speeds, if I'm already in 4th, I can play with the pedal a bit to get it to downshift to 3rd, but even then, once I slam the pedal (for either passing other vehicles or climbing uphill) it just pops right back into 4th gear and bogs down. Any ideas on the cause of this?
    1988 K10 Suburban. 6.5L NA Goodwrench Engine: 506 block cast on August 12, 1996. Heavy Duty built 700R4. Full-floating 14 bolt rear axle. 3/4ton 10 bolt front. Brand new 305/75R16 Procomp AT Sport tires on brand new 16x8 steel wheels.

Tis the nature of the beast. Without the control afforded to electronic transmissions, the older mechanical trans, needed that governor to keep the engine speed below the governed RPM (3,200 to 3,500 RPMs). The intent is to keep the RPMs as close to 2,000 as possible.

Takes a bit of getting used to as far as driving is concerned but the neither the 6.2 nor the 6.5 were ever envisioned as hot rods. Keep it calm and it will live a long and reliable life.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)