Thread: Name that part

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Digging through my 89 schematic and the relay on the DRIVERS SIDE is not related to the AC.

SADLY the schematics of the early trucks do not have a "component locator sketch)

This said I went looking deeper and did find a relay thats used for the power door locks.

Does your truck have power locks ???? and if so do they work ???
    Yes, Rusty does have power locks and windows and they do work. I will say that the AC, while it does work, doesn't really blow real hard unless I get up to highway speeds.

My headlights are all wacked out though (see seperate thread), but I don't think this is related. There are no connectors in the headlight harness anywhere near this relay (nor any other connectors for that matter).

Other than those things, I don't think there's anything else that's not working. It's possible the relay could be related to the CB cable/antenna base I identified earlier, since they are near each other. I know in that same location, there is a thick power wire running from the driver's side battery into the cab and into the center console, but then connects to nothing. Seems likely that the actual cb radio was located there, then perhaps the whole cb system was removed prior to my purchase. According to another individual, the antenna base is for a K40 CB radio antenna, which had a twist lock feature to remove the antenna to prevent theft.
    1988 K10 Suburban. 6.5L NA Goodwrench Engine: 506 block cast on August 12, 1996. Heavy Duty built 700R4. Full-floating 14 bolt rear axle. 3/4ton 10 bolt front. Brand new 305/75R16 Procomp AT Sport tires on brand new 16x8 steel wheels.

Arrow

You may have ID'd your aftermarket gremlin. A CB radio doesn't require much in the way of power and big cables (a few amps, at most), but a linear amplifier does (20 to hundreds of amps....wow, that brings back memories!). Relays and large power cables wouldn't be unusual for a CB'er pushing some serious power.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

New random part: this is located underneath the dash right behind the pedals, just hanging out....

IMG_5663.jpg
    1988 K10 Suburban. 6.5L NA Goodwrench Engine: 506 block cast on August 12, 1996. Heavy Duty built 700R4. Full-floating 14 bolt rear axle. 3/4ton 10 bolt front. Brand new 305/75R16 Procomp AT Sport tires on brand new 16x8 steel wheels.

Looks like a floormount headlight dimmer switch - but (obviously) could be used to switch other things.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    Looks like a floormount headlight dimmer switch - but (obviously) could be used to switch other things.
    I can tell you that it's a push-button style switch, but what it operates I don't know.

I know that a lot of old school drivers would add a foot dimmer switch for auxiliary lighting.
    In the Time before mulit switches on the column,hitting the foot dimmer used to be instinct.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    I know that a lot of old school drivers would add a foot dimmer switch for auxiliary lighting.
    In the Time before mulit switches on the column,hitting the foot dimmer used to be instinct.

That's possible. There were once 4 auxiliary lights mounted to the bumper, but the harness for them was missing so I removed the lights. Still have them