Thread: Things were just a little too cozy...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    and have not been overheated or run at 20 PSI boost or ???? whatever other form of torture some clown can dish out.
    Gee, I wondered why my nose was big and red...

I dropped $2100 last fall for a set of P400 heads.

Quote Originally Posted by ronniejoe View Post
    I dropped $2100 last fall for a set of P400 heads.
    If nothing else had gone wrong with this, then I might be able to do that. Right now that isn't in the budget.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

I hate to brag...but the heads I got for Dahooooley were the normal pickup arranged P400 heads that were installed on a P400 that was ordered for a civvy H1 by mistake..

AMG sent the fella a fresh set of the proper angled bolt heads with gaskets and bolts and told him to keep the pickup style heads.

Got them suckers with zero hrs for $600 for the pair..
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Another set of "guaranteed" good used heads with cracks in all 8 chambers, with many cracks going through the intake and exhaust valve seats.

1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Seems like you just can't catch a break! A world I'm all too familiar with.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSJ View Post
    Another set of "guaranteed" good used heads with cracks in all 8 chambers, with many cracks going through the intake and exhaust valve seats.

Tough break... I too have a set of heads that I bought with the assurance that they were crack-free. I found at least one crack between the valves so far. They'll need to be thoroughly checked out by the engine shop.

With what it costs to ship these heavy items anywhere, I have begun recommending people ask that the heavy part they're considering be QC checked by an engine shop before dropping any bills on it. That'll be cheaper than dealing with all the shipping costs.

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Tough break... I too have a set of heads that I bought with the assurance that they were crack-free. I found at least one crack between the valves so far. They'll need to be thoroughly checked out by the engine shop.

With what it costs to ship these heavy items anywhere, I have begun recommending people ask that the heavy part they're considering be QC checked by an engine shop before dropping any bills on it. That'll be cheaper than dealing with all the shipping costs.
    So far the shippers have been eating the costs. I would think that they would test them before selling them. I'm sure they are betting on someone receiving the head and bolting it on and running it, and not actually crack checking them.