Thread: 94 lb7 K1500 conversion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Kenny, I would trade the 2003 HD rear axle for a GM 9-1/2" semi-floater like the one I used. GM used the 9-1/2" rear axle in these heavy-half ton and light-3/4 ton trucks back in the day, and they are available in 6 lug to fit the half ton wheels. I haven't broken the rear axle in my truck, even with 600+ rear wheel dyno horsepower. The 2003 HD axle is really too heavy for the chassis and the mismatch in wheel lugs would complicate things. You can read more about the rear axle I used here: http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/randys.htm

I recommend keeping the original 1995 and newer dash, just modify the cluster mount to accept the 2003 cluster. That will greatly uncomplicated the conversion. Though, you should fit the 2003 steering column, which will give you the correct cable shift mechanism for the Allison and all of the electrical will be plug-n-play. In the 1994 model year vehicles, It's a toss-up whether to change the entire dash... I'd look hard at finding a way to keep your original dash. The dash conversion in my truck was as or even more difficult in some ways than the engine conversion - took nearly as long too. There are ways to do a conversion while keeping your original dash cluster. There's a motorhome conversion discussion here in this forum about just such a thing.

You can read more about my intercooler installation here: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=28375

Jim

I got the 3/4 ton rear axle installed yesterday. It needs a bit to make it perfect, but it bolted up fine.
    I swapped the springs and everything over and they bolted up to the frame with no issues.
    I need to add spacers in the rear on the frame to bring the shackle mounts out an inch+ or so on each side.
    The mounts on the 3/4 ton axle are 2 inches wider than the 10 bolt. For right now it's all boolted up tight but once I have a welder available to help out I figure we'll get some type of spacer on the frame.
    My driveline angle looks perfect.

This was much easier than I expected.

I pulled the gear box on both trucks next, and they swap right over as far as bolts go. Same size and everything.
    What it seems like I will have to do is do a cut and wels so that I can keep the same lower connection on the new gearbox, while keeping the same old design up top.
    This way I will have the new gearbox paired to the old steering wheel.

Not sure if I'd want to swap the steering wheel from a 99.

Oh yeah, I found my new dash.
    Since mine is a 94, it seems as though fitting diesel gauges from an 03 is not an option.
    I have found a complete dash from a 1999 454 suburban, and the best part is, it's from an old friend.
    I'm getting the dash, BCM, and seats for about 250-300$

Think that's about all for now
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -94 K1500 lb7 swap
    -06 Cl55 AMG Mercedes Benz @ 12.3 seconds
    -04 E55 AMG Mercedes Benz
    -08 f150