Thread: 95 K3500 dies,,

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I replaced the wire harness on the injection pump, I don't think there is that noise filter harness on mine. I am not getting any trouble codes on mine.

The 12.3 volts at the shut off solenoid plug was with truck not running and batteries run down a little from trying to start it.
    Last edited by 94GMC2500; 09-01-2017 at 11:38.
    1995 K3500 Silverado extended cab dually auto trans. Diamond Eye exhaust, KOJO chip, manual boost control, HD cooling, PMD behind bumper, modified fan clutch.

Here is a little secret to try.

When it won't start...

Get another rig up alongside (Running) and jump the Drivers side battery and see wassssup.

This will get a full 14 volts to the LH battery and possibly ferret out a voltage issue.

Both batteries are connected, but the LH one feeds the main power box on the rig.

If this gets ya going, then start looking for the source of the low voltage.

The wiring on the engine are very small and a bad connection can really screw things up.
    Replacing the complete engine harness is not too tough, just requires the intake be removed

Good luck
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

My 98 diesel had a stalling issue that an ignition switch fixed.
    My 04 Topkick had a Heater, air conditioning issue that was fixed by replacing the ignition switch.
    My neighbor has a 95 GMC gas job that was having transmission issues that were fixed with a new ignition switch.
    Pesky little problems
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

WE had a GMC Safari that would lose the digital dash, the power seats and power windows plus the tranny would not shift.

All because of the ign switch.

One hot lead had melted the wire, the contact spade and the switch case too.

The GM switches of the era are suspect when they get some time on them.

I would swap out the switch before chasing this gremlin any farther to be on the safe side.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

The dealer overhauled the 4L80E in my '95 twice before I figured out the problem was low voltage to the shift solenoids. By the time they figured out it was the ignition switch, it was off warranty. I told them they bought into the problem when they pulled the trans the first time. They replaced the switch and Bob's my uncle. (Really...) Went another 100K miles before I traded it.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

There are several contacts in the ign switch and depending on which one goes south the issues can be hard on things for sure.

The cost of a switch is minimal.

Our Safari Van had not only trashed the switch, but burnt up the large gang plug on the switch as well.

TRIP TO THE U PULLIT

Scarfed up a good one and spliced into the harness...Good to go.

The switch contacts carbon up and then the voltage drops off and the amperage goes through the roof.... next stop things start failing or melting.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I see there is a huge range on prices for ignition switch, would it be best to get a AC delco switch?
    1995 K3500 Silverado extended cab dually auto trans. Diamond Eye exhaust, KOJO chip, manual boost control, HD cooling, PMD behind bumper, modified fan clutch.