so a few things to mull over is that this engine has been run out of fuel 3 times before. a few months before i swapped the motor into a different truck it started dying while both driving down the road, or at a simple idle. there's no rhyme or reason that i've found yet. as far as procedures i've performed personally,

1-dropped the fuel tank and found the sock on the sender unit was filthy. looked like algae had completely covered it. mind you the fuel tank im speaking of was from a different truck, but still a problem. i blew compressed air through the lines to clear any obstructions from the fuel tank to the fuel pump(disconnected the lines there as well before hand), i then disconnected the fuel lines at the fuel filter(back of the engine) and put compressed air through there to the fuel pump(disconnected at fuel pump as well). it was finally getting fuel to the fuel filter. took me a while to learn what the bleeder valve in the filter was and it's been bleed to the point that the top of my engine wont be dry for a while.

2- just in case the shut off solenoid was bad, i changed that out with a better looking specimen from another ip i had from the engine i changed out. i was pretty convinced that was my problem as when i inspected the old one. the wires very close to the solenoid were exposed. but the shut off condition persisted.(newer solenoid wires were fine)

i have cracked no fuel lines from ip-injectors. nor have i taken off any glow plugs or injectors. the truck starts pretty much every time. the only time i've had a no start condition is when i put the "turbo power" plastic cover back over the intake manifold. and that at this point only contacts the vacuum lines near a sensor they are plugged into at the back drivers side of the engine. it does not pinch the lines or anything, simply at best bends the lines a bit. but with the cover off, the truck starts every time and will run, but still shuts off at random. every now and then it skips a beat, and i havent been able to pull codes with an obd2 scanner i got at oreily's. incase you're wondering it's the $350 one that they currently have. still couldnt get codes off it. though it has been swapped from a different truck, i took all corresponding electrical with it. i mean i swapped out the electrical from the dash as well as engines. all original wiring kept in the truck is the grill, and body for lighting. that's it. otherwise all wiring came from the swapped motor truck. as well as the ecm. basically i have no way atm to check codes.

so a check list of what i need to do to diagnose this would be helpful as i am fairly ignorant to diesel engines. i've been a student for ast about a year now. i've been trying to do it on my own with direction only as needed. but my direction is now random as my teacher has limited knowledge of diesels. more often than not, i was directed to this forum whenever i ran into a wall on something, and not lying, this is my hail mary lol. if i had to take this thing to a garage, the wife is gonna make me sell it. I DONT WANNA. so lets start with a check list of things for me to do first. and then i can give definitive yes and no answers to diagnosis of this thing. any and all help will be greatly appreciated as i love my 6.5L. i went through the trouble of converting an automatic 2500 extended cab chevy to a manual and doing everything properly to make sure i had all bells and whistles necessary(clutch switch, steering position sensor, and had some funny business with the multi function switch). i've put alot of work into this truck and would like it to be my rolling resume for i need something to show for my education. im not even being trained on diesel. so hopefully that will show something to perspective employers. but at this point my direction is in you readers hands. so please. a top to bottom check list of things that can stop this thing from running at random like that is what im looking for.