Thread: Voltage drop and wastegate issue

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Voltage drop and wastegate issue

Hi

Long time reader, first time post.
    First up thanks for all the info over the year's. I have fixed a lot of issues from the posts here.

I have a July 94 Suburban imported new and converted to right hand drive in 94 by a factory approved converter.

I am having an electrical issue that I cannot find an answer to here. I have searched the forum extensively ... I think.

I have cleaned and tested all grounds earth straps and live straps. I have replaced the batteries. I have tested and had an auto sparky test the alternator and it is fine. I have cleaned and tested the lead from the alternator.

Problem 1.
    At the batteries I am getting 14v. At the firewall junction I am getting 13.9 or there abouts volts.
    On the dash and scantech tool I am getting about12v on start and for the first 20-30 minutes of driving. Then it drops to around 10v.
    I am not getting a charge light or ses light on the dash.
    Clearly I have a resistance issue or an ecm issue somewhere? Ideas would be good.

Problem 2.
    I have a new vacuum pump and lines and a new wastegate solenoid. I have a boost gauge on the dash. Turbo boosts fine for first 20-30 minutes of driving then drops to zero and stays there. When at zero the wastegate arm can be moved easily so the solenoid must be getting a message to kill the vacuum. Some times if I drop the throttle to idle and try again the turbo will boost again for a while. Eventually I get an ses light and plenty of black smoke and no boost.
    Turbo will boost fine no matter the voltage but I guess they must be related.
    If I shut down and restart the turbo still will not boost. If I shut down and let everything cool off completely then good to go for another 20-30 minutes. So perhaps heat related.
    Intake temp sensor reads ok according to ranges posted in threads here.
    This one is very frustrating and makes the truck unusable.

I have had this vehicle almost 10 years. Voltage issue and turbo issue are recent.

Over my ownership I have replaced due to failure the following, PMD, FSS, ECM.

I have done a lot of other testing, but all ideas gladly received.

Thanks.
    Ron
    Last edited by Ron_Woolerton; 12-18-2017 at 10:29. Reason: Typo in model year
    1994 Suburban Silverado 6.5td 8 seater K2500 RHD