Thread: Update on our Colorado and towing with it

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by cowboywildbill View Post
    Gee are you guy's still driving up there ? I would think you would have to be using the dog sleds or snowmobiles, Arctic Cat's by now. LOL It's 73 degrees here now and that's not Celsius. LOL
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    We are taking advantage of a brand new technology called snow tires. Lets us drive even with over 4 inches of snow on the ground. This is actually the first white Christmas we have had in close to 10 years. 3 significant falls so far this year and are expecting another 10 inches on Christmas day. Makes you want to burn an effigy of Bing Crosby. As far as the temps are concerned, just take yours and subtract about 73 degrees.

Actually have been fighting with an ancient Fisher snow plow we have attached to our equally ancient 88 GMC with a 6.2 (still running after 30 years). The control plug (9pin) has actually worn out and makes the plow do funky things. Just priced out the plugs only and the combined price is more than the value of the truck and plow combined. Sad state of affairs when the value of your truck is directly proportional to how full the fuel tanks is.

Again, all the best of the season and a happy and prosperous New Year to all.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

We love snow ! On a postcard that is LOL
    Seen and moved all the snow I ever wanted to while living in The Peoples Republic of Maryland. We were at the foot of the Catoctin Mountains. Had a little Ranch there. We could have anything from a mild winter with little or or almost no snow to all out blizzard's.
    It's hard work trying to keep cattle and horses fed and watered in blizzard conditions. And then to have some of them calve in a blizzard. But I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything, just don't want to have to deal with it anymore. Miss the life though !
    I'll take the heat of summer down here to just to avoid the winters back there.
    You should come down here in the winter. I didn't think there was anyone still left up in Canada this time of year. Because they're all down here Ha Ha LOL.
    Stay safe and warm . Happy New Year to all

Where exactly is "down here"? We tend to go south the last 3 weeks in April. That way I can pretty well tell you the exact date for the end of winter, at least for us. 2 years ago, my brother had cut the lawn twice while we were away. Love leaving in the snow and coming back to Spring.

Happy New Year to all.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Would be an interesting read on comparing those two diesels. Here is what I found Cummins R 2.8 crate engine has 161 hp and 267 ft pound of torque An M.S.R.P. of $8,999. "Ouch" And Cummins only offers a 90 day warranty on their engine and components.
    Duramax 2.8 has 181 hp and 369 ft pound of torque. That surprised me.
    Last edited by cowboywildbill; 12-25-2017 at 16:56.

FourWheeler magazine has been doing a series of articles on the R2.8 including one to swap it into a Jeep and a roadtrip with several R2.8 powered vehicles. Unfortunately, they’re not reporting any “numbers” information yet other than some “guestimated” mileage numbers in the mid-twenties.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    FourWheeler magazine has been doing a series of articles on the R2.8 including one to swap it into a Jeep and a roadtrip with several R2.8 powered vehicles. Unfortunately, they’re not reporting any “numbers” information yet other than some “guestimated” mileage numbers in the mid-twenties.
    I would be interested in their mpg numbers also.
    The problem with trying to figure out the economy of the cummins 2.8 is that it isn't designed for any particular vehicle. So everything from weight to gear ratios and such of the vehicle it is planted in would be a factor. I would think that with the right application it would get great mpg.

Plus, it is more likely to go into non-stock vehicles - where everything from weight to gear ratios to tire size to aerodynamics aren’t likely to be selected for best mileage, so it is not like comparing a mid-sized offering from Nissan with a mid-sized offering from GM.

Now, the roadtrip article did have a moderate Jeep Wrangler and a Nissan Frontier with R2.8s in them and a Colorado Duramax 2.8 along, so perhaps Cummins will be giving some comparative numbers at some point.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by convert2diesel View Post
    Where exactly is "down here"? We tend to go south the last 3 weeks in April. That way I can pretty well tell you the exact date for the end of winter, at least for us. 2 years ago, my brother had cut the lawn twice while we were away. Love leaving in the snow and coming back to Spring.

Happy New Year to all.

Bill
    We are in Sunny Central Florida. And did you say you had three weeks of summer ? I thought it was only two weeks. LOL