Thread: K2500 6.5 4X4 Suburban Strange Noise

Default K2500 6.5 4X4 Suburban Strange Noise

So I am getting a grinding noise out of my suburban. It happens when accelerating after hitting a bump or dip in the road.

Details- Mostly at lower speeds. I've never heard it on the freeway or anytime cruising.

It happens after things warm up. Almost never when it is cold.

There is not a loss of power and the noise stops quickly if I let off the accelerator.

It is a harsh sound like gears grinding or a metal on metal rub.

I did check the differential fluid and it is full and the fluid looks clean. I believe this vehicle has the posi-traction rear end so I don't know if the previous owner changed the fluid and did not put in the posi-traction modifier???

It will make the noise when going straight, and/or turning left/right. Going over a bump is almost always the cause of the noise.

I honestly can't tell if it is coming from the front or the back of the vehicle. We have had it up and the lift and the driveshafts and u-joints look fine.

Any suggestion?

Can you run it on the lift with all 4 tires in the air?
    Happen in both 4 WD and 2WD?
    Any chance it's as simple as a rock caught between the rotor and dust shields on the disc brakes?
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

It happens in 2wd. Will try 4wd and will try it on the lift running.

No rock that I can see caught anywhere.

If you have "the posi-traction rear end" you don't have to worry about any additive. The option was "G80" which is actually a locking differential and no additive is called for.

If the noise happens after hitting a bump and accelerating, I'd look for something, like the exhaust, that can shift and touch the body of the car, then shift back when you let off.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Check to confirm that the fan is not hitting the shroud. I have seen soft or broken motor and transmission mounts cause noise like you describe.
    Good luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Perhaps the fan!!! But it does sound like a grinding more than the fan hitting the shroud. Thanks for all the responses so far!

Something is rubbing/hitting the chassis/body

Exhaust is number 1...
    As mentioned.....engine mounts ...Both sides and the rear one

Try a stall test...(Tranny in D foot on brake and bring engine speed up to load the drive train....

See if the noise comes in.....

ENGINE OFF
    Get a light and inspect the fan shroud for damage (Fan been chewing on things)
    Inspect the area where the down pipe from the turbo passes between the frame and the engine near the firewall at the floor area.

Any and all reaches of the exhaust system from the engine all the way to the tail pipe...

Grab the tail pipe and wiggle it vigorously to listen for things hitting (Engine off) system warmed up....

The bump thing makes me think of exhaust hitting .....

Gear train does not start making noise just because you hit a bump.....Power on causes things to shift due to torque.....

Get the beast on a rack with the wheels on the rack (LIKE IT WAS ON THE GROUND) Flashlight in hand and go on a scavenger hunt.....Grab the drive shaft and yank it side to side....

Anything unusual happen just prior to the noise starting.....
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I've had two things cause the "grinding" noise when I had my GMT400 trucks. Like said before, the down pipe being one. So I ditched the stock exhaust and went with the larger down to 5" out to stacks. Remember Robyn?

The other one that drove me batcrap crazy and was hard to find, was the inspection cover to the trans had three broken bolt tabs on the mounts. It wasn't grinding but rattling and sounded like a grinding noise. Hit a bump and it would make noise. Decelerate and it would stop. Taking off from a stop, it would make noise. Took me forever to find and once I did, it all made sense.
    2004 Chevy K3500 CCLB DRW Duramax. Stock.

1992 Sea Ray 300DA. 30 plus foot Express Cruiser on a trailer. 13,500# boat and trailer and 69' of combined length rolling. Over length/width permitted load.

SOLD-95 GMC K2500 SLE 6.5L TD, Relocated PMD to bumper #9 res., Custom Lowes special induction tube, Triple gauges on the pillar EGT, Trans, Boost, High Idle Mod, TCC-Lock up Mod, Custom Back up camera, DIY Manual Wastegate Controller, 4" from down tube to 5" stacks, Vac Pump Removed,2007 wheels, WMI by Cooling Mist 8gph @3psi 11gph on demand