Thread: head bolts and gaskets

Question

I have an 86 block and plan on using some 82 heads, I already have a set of fel pro gaskets for the 6.2 heads but no bolts, can i use the stock bolts properly retorqued, or do I have to get new bolts? This is for a turbo engine.

britannic Guest

New bolts every time as they're TTY (Torque to Yield) and the old ones won't generate the correct torque since they're now stretched.

Is that a dealer item or is there a better source? Also are the felpro 6.2 gaskets all the same and as good as the 6.5 gaskets? Thanks

Originally posted by brandonwortley:
    Is that a dealer item or is there a better source?
    I would look into ARP head studs. Once you use a fastener made by ARP, you will never use anything else.
    Bobbie Martin
    1995 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 6.5 TD 2WD- DB2 mechanical fuel injection
    GEP Optimizer 6.53 Detroit Diesel Power
    6.53L, GEP Block & Heads, .020 over, ARP studs, DB2 Inj. pump, GM8 Turbo w/TurboMaster
    K47 Airbox with K&N filter, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, 2ΒΌ" Crossover, Mann ProVent
    HO Water Pump, Hayden "Truck Fan" Clutch, 21" 9 blade Duramax Fan

No PMD, APP, CDR, optical sensor or vacuum pump!
    Author of The DB2 Conversion Guide
    Click Here to Email Me

britannic Guest

I believe you can also get the head bolts as part of the FelPro head gasket set.

Dieselboy Guest

For NA engines and mildly turbo'd applications, TTY head bolts are the way to go since you're not over-stressing them with that kind of power.

As for head gaskets, 6.5 head gaskets will not interchange happily on 6.2 heads. There's a cooling passage on a 6.2L head that doesn't seal well due to the additional metal in 6.5 head gaskets. Crew84 pioneered that one.

ARP head studs are very choice, but the cost/benefit for a plain vanilla motor is just too high. Now hot-rodding is a totally different thing, and I agree that studs are the best choice for ~450+ lb-ft engines - especially for those low compression/high boost nuts.

I recently changed the heads on mine, although I put 84 heads on an 82 block because I think the 82 heads require a course thread injector?..and of course the good ones I had were fine thread. Anyway, if they have an Autozone near you, the head bolts (Felpro) were about 20 bucks a side...cheapest I could find.

Thanks, I will check into Autozone for the bolts, hope to start work on this truck again soon! Winter work is no fun when your truck is too big to fit in your little garage, New shop is in the 10 year plan.

Where is a good place to look for the head studs? Do they come in a kit form for the diesel or do you have to buy it in pieces?

odee, go here http://store.summitracing.com/ and input ARP-130-4062 in parts search.
    90 3/4 Ton 4X4 6.2L N/A diesel Suburban w/143K miles.<p>97 2500 CC/LB 4X4, 5spd, TST #10 Plate w/AFC Medium spring, 60 Gal. Aerotank, Geno\'s Combo Gage, Mag-Hytec Dana 80 cover, Espar Heater, w/176K miles.

Hmmm. ARP lists those as for the 6.2, and nothing for the 6.5. I thought the head bolts were the same between the 6.2 and 6.5.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...