Thread: Glow plug life with manual control

dieselcrawler Guest

Hey all,
    I've got a question about my glow plugs... I have the stock glow plugs in my truck, the sad thing is that I don't even know wich ones they are, it's what ever the parts store sold me about a year ago, for this year of truck. I also have a pushbutton to control them, so the lenth of time they are on is totaly up to me when I'm starting the motor.
    My question is this: Is there another type of plug that may last longer or be better suited to this type of use? Do I need to be concerned about holding them on for too long, and burning them out quicker? If I do stay with the stock type, what might be the best way to use them, for the longest life, as in, should I not leave them on for more than a certain lenth of time? I'll be greatful for any input from anyone... Thanks.
    Greg

CleviteKid Guest

Arrow

Hi Greg,

You probably got a clone of the AC-11G plugs from the parts store, and they can take 15 or 20 seconds of glow with no problems.

When you get around to changing them, either genuine AC-60G plugs or John Kennedy's special fast-heat plugs can glow for well over an hour with no adverse consequences. But anything over 20 seconds is wasted, in my opinion, even on top of a cold West Virginia mountain.

Worst thing about manual glow plug control is if you let someone else drive either they will grind away at the starter after NO time on the plugs, or they will hold the button down through the full version of "Somethin' About a Pickup Truck Man" on the Country Western station, and they will burn out one or all of you no-name glow plugs.

So don't let un-trained friends or relatives drive your truck ! ! !

Dr. Lee

dieselcrawler Guest

Originally posted by CleviteKid:
    Worst thing about manual glow plug control is if you let someone else drive either they will grind away at the starter after NO time on the plugs, or they will hold the button down through the full version of "Somethin' About a Pickup Truck Man" on the Country Western station, and they will burn out one or all of you no-name glow plugs.

So don't let un-trained friends or relatives drive your truck ! ! !

Dr. Lee
    Dr. Lee,
    Not to worry, I'm the only one who drives the ol' 'Crawler, most every one else is scared of it! The time or 2 that some one else does drive it, I make sure they know the details of how it works. And they would also have a hard time hearing ANY songs, as there's no radio in that ol' beast!
    I am starting to think that the set of GP's that are in it are getting burned out, because it's been getting harder to start in the past few weeks, but the colder weather may have something to do with it. I guess I should get off my lazy duff, and pull one or 2 of the GP's to find out if they are ok, but with work and such... (I have my own electrical contracting company) the truck ends up at the bottom of the 'TO DO' list.
    Where might I find the glow plugs you mentioned, John Kennedy's? How much do they cost? I remember seeing them mentioned on other posts, but didn't really pay attention at the time... **grin** (normal for me!)
    Thanks for your thoughts, happy holidays.
    Greg

CleviteKid Guest

Thumbs up

Thank You !! Another opportunity to jump up on my soapbox and scream:

THERE IS MUCH MORE TO THEDIESELPAGE.COM THAN JUST THE FORUMS !!!

At the top of THIS VERY PAGE there are hot links to key sections of TheDieselPage.com, including one labeled Advertiser's Section . Just click up there, or right here to look at the list.

Or bypass that and just go to Kennedy ROCKS ! ! ! to review John's offerings.

Thanx for your support, I am climbing down off the soapbox, . . . . . . for now.

Dr. Lee

dieselcrawler Guest

Dr Lee:
    Thanks for the heads up on the links... I just ordered a set of Kennedy's GP's.
    I'm new to TDP, and still exploring... I'll check out the rest of the links some time. **grin** sometimes it's just easy for me to type and ask for feed back than to look... feel free to use the soap box any time you like, I'll try to listen!
    Take care and enjoy the season,
    Greg