Thread: Turbo for 6.2??

poolmike Guest

I am just about wrapped up assembling my 6.2. I installed lower compression pistons with the intention of running a turbo and also picked up a 6.5 turbo intake and exhaust manifolds.

I am curious as to what turbo I should be looking for and what supplier has the best quality/price?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike Petrus

john8662 Guest

Question is, what is the 6.2 engine going into?

If a classic body (82-87 style) or 82-91 sub/burb with a/c, you won't want to use the 6.5 turbo equipment.

Banks makes a complete kit for the 6.2.

Feel free to search the forums for info on turbo's. There is a wealth of information on that subject here.

To access the search feature click on the text link above to the right of the truck icon entitled "search" and feast away.

poolmike Guest

The 6.2 is going into an old military Jeep pick up truck. I was trying to stay away from the Banks kit so I could run a wastegated turbo, but after test fitting the right-side manifold I realized ther is a clearance issue with the 6.2 injectors and the 6.5 manifold. I am going to look into the earlier style 6.5 turbo manifold which I think sits a little farther away or possibly just get a Banks manifold

john8662 Guest

To fix the clearance issue with the 6.5 manifold you can use fine thread short body 6.2 injectors, or 6.5 turbo injectors. The physical body of the injector is shorter, and gives you the little bit more clearance you'll need to get the manifold installed.

I agree on the Banks thing, they are quite pricey, and you'll get a non wastegate turbocharger. I bought a used one, only to find out tonight while comparing it to the turbo I have for an ATS kit that it's shot, and I mean shot, too much sideplay and it's got some endplay (the only acceptable endplay is none). At least I know NOW what I'm looking for in turbo's as far as play (whats acceptable and what's not).

I recommend pursuing the 6.5L turbo for your project, from the sound of things it might just work for your vehicle.

I don't recall ever seeing another version of the 6.5L turbo manifold though, they were the same all the way from 92 to the end of production in the truck body styles. The vans and hummers are a different story, but they used a valley mounted turbo and different heads and block.

[ 01-05-2006, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: john8662 ]

Dieselboy Guest

The GM turbos seem to work very well in nearly all situations. It's the power junkies that seem to find the turbo's conventional limits. I believe they're the best fit for regular towing and some hot-rodding.

That said, I have the Mitsubishi turbo for 6.9/7.3 turbos kits, and I'm very satisfied with it. It's wastegated and makes a lot of power. They're difficult to come by, but I don't remember anyone ever complaining about their performance. Personally, I'm running 71 mm^3 of fuel and making very little black smoke on decently hard acceleration (about 5/8 throttle and ~9 psi) though I haven't yet pushed the engine past this level - still "breaking things in."

poolmike Guest

Thanks for all the advice! I guess I have some more part sourcing to do. I already had my 6.2 injectors rebuilt so I'll try to sell those and get my hands on some 6.5 injectors.

Here is a picture of the truck that the engine will power eventually. It's a '68 Kaiser M-715, currently powered by a 406 small block Chevy.

Sorry, I'm not so good at resizing yet...

This one might rattle some cages..

john8662 Guest

funny!

Trevor Besson Guest

I Have a 6.2 with a 6.5 turbo set up on it in a 1984 GMC 4x4 the guy I bought the engine from had made up some 1/2 thick steel spacers to go between the head and the turbo manifold longer bolts are needed but it works fine and you can save your 6.2 injectors.It looks as if he used the manifold as a template and cut then out with a torch and some filing. might be cheaper than buying another set of injectors. I will see if I can get a picture of them on my truck today and post it

poolmike Guest

Originally posted by TB1:
    I Have a 6.2 with a 6.5 turbo set up on it in a 1984 GMC 4x4 the guy I bought the engine from had made up some 1/2 thick steel spacers to go between the head and the turbo manifold longer bolts are needed but it works fine and you can save your 6.2 injectors.It looks as if he used the manifold as a template and cut then out with a torch and some filing. might be cheaper than buying another set of injectors. I will see if I can get a picture of them on my truck today and post it
    Thanks, dont worry about the pictures, I'm gonna make spacers, thats a decent idea.

Blzr6.2'83 Guest

Would it be hard to modify the 6.5 turbo exhaust manifolds to work with a truck with the a/c box? How much interference is there? I also want to put a 6.5 turbo on the 6.2 I am building because they are cheaper and easier to find.

poolmike Guest

I can see a clearance issue even on the engine stand. The manifold would be dumping right where a '73-'87 truck blower box would be. I dont have that problem in my Jeep. You can probably purchase just a manifold from Banks and modify some turbo parts to make it fit.

In my application I think the spacer idea will work for the injector/manifold clearance issue. I'm also having twisted thoughts about custom headers with some kind of twin turbo set up....

doncannon Guest

Wink

Hello all,

poolmike: I priced a turbo exhaust manifold from banks when I had trouble getting out a couple of studs that were broke off last summer (I looked up the info in the Banks Turbo owners Manual). Banks said they were selling for $ 216.00, their part number is 5100200 and their phone number is(626)969-9600 if you would like to order one. As for me i thought it was a little expensive for a couple of studs so I eventually got out the broken studs. I would also check on ebay from time to time...sometimes there is a kit minus turbo that may sell for less or you can find a kit for $ 7-800.00 if memory serves me correct.
    hope this helps,
    Don
    PS I like the saying on the back.
    we have an H2 sticker on our Jeep that reads, "H2 recovery team" he he he

catmandoo Guest

last time i checked with banks they wanted over 400 bucks for the 6.2 turbo manifold,and they had very few left,this was about 2 years ago.

poolmike Guest

Originally posted by catmandoo:
    last time i checked with banks they wanted over 400 bucks for the 6.2 turbo manifold,and they had very few left,this was about 2 years ago.
    I decided to sell my 6.5 turbo manifolds and have some stainless headers fabbed up. I have had conversation with Gale Banks, He doesn't seem like he likes his own kit for the 6.2.

I should have the header flanges next week. Then the engine will get dropped off at MD Racing(local shop) for header fabrication. Now it's just a question of what turbo to run, and should I run a twin turbo set up which would LOOK really cool but I don't know how functional.