Thread: anti freeze

Question

Hello, I have to pull my radiator this weekend to repair a leak. When I put everything back together what type of anti- freeze should I run in my truck?
    Thanks, Paul
    04 GMC Sierra, 4x4
    94 suburban, 4x4
    84 suburban, 6.2 with Banks. Turbo 400 w/4.10's. Ex-Fire truck.
    83 Volvo 760 turbo diesel. Yea it's ugly, but it gets 40 mpg on the highway...

Warren96 Guest

I have always had good luck with Prestone.Mix it with distilled water.Tapwater has to many minerals in it.Good luck!

CleviteKid Guest

Arrow

The question may have also been, "Which color, orange, green, pink or yellow?" (Does anyone make a blue antifreeze yet? I mean for engines.)

The orange DEXCOOL with silicates removed is the long-life coolant adopted by GM with Aluminum radiators. I retrofitted my 1984 (with the brass/copper radiator) with DEXCOOL about 10 years ago, and have had no problems.

I HAVE always mixed it 50/50 with distilled water, and change half the charge every year.

Dr. Lee

RT Guest

I have converted my MB and GM diesel over to Shell Rotella ELC coolant. It is available straight or premixed and I think its supposed to be good for 6yrs or 600,000miles in big rigs. Its a heavy duty diesel coolant. It has perfomed well to date. I can get it at the same distributor I buy my motor oil in bolk from. RT

ZZ Guest

I considered switching to orange this past summer when I had my radiator's leaks fixed till the radiator guy told me several horror stories about late model vehicle problems he's had in his shop.

I decided pretty quick to stick with the green.

I know that Dr Lee has/had good luck with his, but I'm usually one of those if it will go wrong; it will happen to me.