---2005---D/A 3500/CC DRW---
I was woundering if others would share their experiences with their cooling fan clutch engagement characteristics. My experiences are as follows. When I first recieved the truck I had an intermittent chirping noise(close to the sound of brake pad wear indicter on a warped roter) from the engine area at lite throttle and low speeds(20-35mph). It did not match vehicle speeds but closely followed engine speeds. I visited the dealer and after a test dive was told "This is normal diesel eng noise" and when I ask him if he pacifically herd that noise in other diesel engines, his responce was "Well no,I do not normally listen to them that closly ". Time to find another dealer. Two days later, with about 600 miles on the truck, the noise became really consitent and and a bit louder untill leaving a stop lite it disaperred for good. The following mourning on first startup the fan clutch was engaged (first time I have even heard the fan)and stayed engaged for about 5 miles. Now the fan clutch intermittenly is engaged on first startups and after short distance disengages never to engage again during the drive. Two weeks ago I left on vacation with 5th wheel(11,000pounds) in tow to nourthern lower Mich.(now 1200 miles on truck). Lite hilly terrain with temps at mid 60's night and around lower 90's day running at 70mph. Regardless if I am pulling a hill or running flat land, in early mourning or mid after noon, a/c on or off fan cluth seems to engage for no rime or reason. Now when this clutch engages at 70mph(about 2200rpm) you sure know it and on some hills will couse the trans to down shift(now engines at about 2900rpm). Now from what I understand about cooling fan is that at about 30-35mph the incoming air through the grill will overcome anthing the fan can pull. While all this is happing the trans and eng temps are rock solid at 190/200 deg. Upon returning from vacation I took the truck to a differant dealer and was called today and told that GM considers all this to be normal. I find this hard to believe and would like to here what others are experiencing.