Thread: DMax - No start?

Angry

My son's 03 CC Dually ran fine all the way home from Georgia and towing out to mid N.Y. and back,but. Two days ago, he got in, and it started right up and immediately stalled, and won't start again. Seems to glow OK and turns over nice and fast. We suspect no fuel. We can hear the lift pump, we think.
    Since we don't have any books on the thing, I thought I'd ask you guys what you think about it.
    If it was my 6.5 Suburban, I'd have a pretty good idea of where to start, but the D-Max is a LOT different.
    Any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated. Oh, the truck has 75 grand on the clock.
    Unrelated, but of interest. He doesn't like the Allison. I think he said it hunts too much going uphill out of tow-haul, and revs too much in tow-haul. He hates that it kicks out of lock-up at 20 mph towing down-grade, and then zooms away like you'd kicked it into neutral. Any thoughts on this? Is this normal? Sounds like Marcelle, the guy that sold me my travel traier. Hates his D-Max. Says it goes to red line every time he tries to tow up hill. In his French accent he said; "Nex time I buy a Ford. Lees I know I'm getting junk, when I buy it. Dat dealer can't even fine da jector pump in dat ting"!
    I don't think my son is quite that unhappy with his. When it runs, it's pretty nice.
    Thanks guys.
    Dick Wells
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Kennedy Guest

There is no lift pumpon a Dmax. Try pumping the filter primer up hard and see if that helps. While it may just be air in the filter, I'm sorry to say this, but it's quite possibly injectors. If the injectors leak back too much the pumpcannot build enough psi at cranking speeds and if it doesn't build enough psi it will not fire.

If he has and Edge Juice on it remove that also.

Angry

Thanks John. Well, what's that buzzing we hear somewhere under the hood after we shut off the key?
    The engine has had the newest injectors installed under waranty, just recently. Can they just shut down all at once as a unit on this high pressure, common rail unit?
    Where's the best place to go for good manuals on the D-Max? I bought a set of Helmes manuals for my 6.5 years ago and they're pretty good. Who would have the best set of wiring diagrams?
    Thanks again.
    Dick Wells
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

jbplock Guest

Originally posted by Dick Wells:
    ... Where's the best place to go for good manuals on the D-Max? ...
    Dick,

Helms is still a good choice for the Dmax and Alldadta on-line manuals is another good option .. Alldata also has a complete listing of TSB's.

Helminc.com
    alldatadiy.com

[img]smile.gif[/img]

madmatt Guest

check your 25A inj B fuse. it's in the underhood fuse box. Also have you changed your fuel filter lately? any codes set?

Cool

Hi: Thanks for the replies.
    Does the D-Max use the same procedure for checking codes as my 6.5? We don't even have enough reference material at this time to know these first-step type things.
    D.W.

Arrow

Nope. The paper clip won't work. Gotta' have a scanner for anything '96+. Any of the over-the-counter scanners like at Autozone, etc. will work. Some of them are pretty nice. A Predator programmer will do well, and has some added benefits.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Cool

Thanks DMax.
    What are doing up and about at this time of day? And how come the post header shows 9 something PM, when I posted just before 3 AM, and so did you?
    I couldn't sleep, so I just sat here and ordered a Helm manual and joined Alldata for my son. Hope he hasn't allready done so himself! One-hundred-forty-one bucks for the Helm manual!
    We have sold our house and 25 acres, and are in the proccess of moving out and going into our travel trailer full time. A big move, and emotional experience for us. Plus, I get my right elbow operated on this Thursday! No wonder I can't sleep.
    Thanks again.
    D.W.

Arrow

I hope everything works out for you. Good luck!

When I posted, it was 11pm something in CA. You can adjust the time difference in your member profile. The instructions are pretty clear. The time stamp from the server is not precise, but will get you in the ballpark. Just select "my profile" at the top of the page to get you to the settings.

I was going to order the Helms manuals, until I found alldatadiy.com . As long as I have computer/internet access, the paper manuals are obsolete. Also, I was going to buy a scanner. I have a Predator, and it will do everything a "store bought" scanner will do for my truck. It also has specific features tailored to the Duramax engine the other scanners didn't have. The Predator will also read codes from many other vehicles (all that I've tried). I have oversize tires and it will adjust for that, also. A worthwhile investment, and not much more $ than a good scanner. If you're a DIY'er with a newer vehicle, a code scanner is a must.