Thread: How to break an injector

Red face

Thanks to all of the obsessive and ****ed off folks with injector fiascos, I now count down the minutes till my 02 DMX (45K miles) has problems.
    CANT YOU-ALL JUST LET ME ENJOY MY RIDE!

So Im wondering if anyone can tell me how to ruin one of my injectors so I can take the truck to the dealer and have them replace all 8. It has too look real too! Or Ill look like a dumb****. Do I use a hammer or a knife?

This really makes allot of sense though. I can plan alternate transportation for atleast a week, not have to worry about breaking down on a large trip or important date, and my real worry is falling out of the warranty either for time, miles, or because I want to juice up the engine and not have any issues.
    Whose with me here!!

Also: after doing lots of searches, I couldnt find a good description of the symptoms of injector faliure, other than smelling it. Anyone with more details?

[ 02-24-2005, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: J T ]

Jim Brzozowski Guest

Don't panic, enjoy the ride. I think there a few trucks on the diesel page that can show they have gone a lot further with no injector problems, a lot more miles.

74,000 miles and not one injector problem!! Great truck! I always try and use FPPF Total Power fuel additive at every fillup. I didn't start using additive till approx. 50k.

Runaway Guest

54K and counting. Yes I am too concerned; however, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. Ford and Dodge seem to have their injector problems too. Quality fuel is the key I feel. With diesels you don't look for the cheapest station you can find. You look for a station that sells alot of fuel regardless of the price, IMHO. Enjoy the truck and remember that these forums are just a fraction of the owners out there of these fantastic trucks.

Thanks for the positive support. Im still hoping for someone to list a few more symptoms of having a bad injector.

Unfortunatly, I have way to much time on my hands, and so am still planning my injector attack.
    If anyone saved one of their bad injectors, id pay for the shipping? That sounds the easiest to me. Dont know why I didnt think of it before.

If not, Im thinking now that heat is my best bet?

I don't want to sound like I'm pokin' fun at ya', but....

The bad injector....What do plan on doing with it? Good injectors look the same as bad injectors. I really hope you aren't planning on installing a bad injector to get a "failure".

Do you have any idea what it takes to replace these things? There is a very good reason for the change in engine design with the LLY. A well qualified tech, in a GM shop, with all the right tools and equpment, takes a couple days to turn around an injector job on an LB7 (6 times that of the LLY). This ain't your grandma's Oldsmobile.

If you want to know what one looks like, we got pictures. Besides, the core value of a bad injector that can be installed, working or not, is nearly as much as a new injector. The injectors aren't too sophisticated. The parts are just very precise and expensive.

One other thing. Be aware that many tech's, and probably the guy that would be performing service on your rig, read these pages. Some of them are even smart enough to put 2 and 2 together.

Screwing around with this stuff and trying to get a warranty claim through, could tap your savings.

Be happy you don't have problems. Most of them don't, in spite of the things you hear from the guys here, and the brand X owners. Many of the members here were looking for a place with answers because they had problems, so, the averages are very skewed here. Another thing that is for certain, is if you look for problems, you'll find them, whether they really exist or not.

Your injectors are warrantied for 200,000 miles. Wait it out. If they last that long, they will probably outlast the rest of the engine.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

madmatt Guest

like said before...don't go lookin for problems you may never have. also..putting a "BAD" injector in your truck is more trouble then it's worth. actually changing the injector isn't that bad, it's the getting to the dam thing thats so much trouble. the very first set i installed took all of about 8 or 9 horrible hours.

Thanks yet again for the positive attitudes. I was planning on a full day of work.

Not really worried about GM techs reading this. Maybe they should tell the corporate office to send out recalls so people like me dont have to do this stupid ****.

Idea.............. a GM CSI to prove I installed a faulty injector. "I didnt do it mannnnnn, she was like that when I found her! I swear to god". Well sir, we cant charge you with injector fraud, but we can for filter fraud. Your getin 2yrs for using non-OEM oil and fuel filters! Lock em up boyz!! (Side shot of a CSI mechanic with his hair in the wind) They just never learn...... Stay tuned-up for our next episode where Truck Driver Bill trys to disguise his banks sixshooter as an amplifier, but falls to the law.

How many malfunctioning pace-makers would it take to force a company to recall their product? I can tell you its not more than 1-2%.
    The injector poll is anywhere from 10-20%?

Just my 2cents.

mark45678 Guest

I had a late 2001 lb7 truck that I like better then my 2004.5 lly powered truck ! at the time of trade I had 78K on it zero problems..... Honestly keep the truck you have GM is doing the right thing by giveing you a good warrenty . Drive it , enjoy it! In my opinion you have a better motor then the LLY! it makes more power and runs with out the quirks the lly has.

Tough Guy Guest

J T

The key here is variety....for example: if 1 in 10 trucks will have injector problems, then just trade 9 more times, this would put the odds in your favor. I say go for it... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good Luck,

The "Boy" TG

Yeah. Go for it. Report back with your results.

Better yet....

Sell your "trouble free" Duramax equipped truck to someone that will appreciate it and go buy a Dodge. I'm sure someone on "their" site will help you grenade it.

[ 03-04-2005, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: DmaxMaverick ]

JT-

Everyone here that has less than 100k on their trucks are sure they won't have the injector problems, but mine just went out 2 days ago right at 84.5k and this is just as predicted according to the failures (typically at 85k) I have read about on this forum. So everyone that is saying they won't have problems is jinxing themselves and most likely will. There was a problem with the '02 injectors and that is why Bosch lost a lawsuit and GM has extended the warranty on them to 200k or 7 years. They crack. Or lose seal.

I would not try to replace them just to get it warrantied, it is very dangerous. At 20,000psi, if you loosen the fitting it can seriously injure you, and I have heard horror stories about this happening even to GM techs. Nothing like losing a finger or having high pressure diesel fuel injected into your bloodstream or eyes or whatever.

If you are lucky they will never fail. Just look for the telltale signs of dropped oil pressure and increased oil level due to fuel dilution of crankcase oil, and the smell of raw fuel.

After reading horror story after horror story on this forum, I would say it is best to keep your good running truck as far from the dealer as possible, some people after computer re-flashes and the like have never had their trucks run the same or perform as well again and why screw up a good thing. The sad fact is that they may fail on a trip or in the middle of winter out in the middle of nowhere. That would be a real drag. I was lucky that mine waited to go out near home, because I mainly use my truck for long 1000+ mile road trips.

Change the fuel filter every 10k or so, that seems to be the best preventative measure.

OC_DMAX Guest

gravity420,

What lawsuit did Bosch lose? (just curious).

My truck accumulates mileage at a low rate. About 8K per year. I am still a little annoyed at the fact they put a 7 yr limitation on the injector warranty. If the part is defective, then warranty for hours of operation.

OC_DMAX,

Not exactly sure on the lawsuit, I read about that somewhere. here is the link for the warranty info:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax...orwarranty.htm

I think 7 years or 200k is pretty generous, but I hear ya on trucks that are driven as few miles as yours. hours would make sense also.

Ken