Thread: exhaust brakes for an '04 3500 LLY Duramax, Allison Trans

Does anyone know if there exists a good after market exhaust brake for an '04 GMC Sierra 3500 LLY Duramax with an Allison Trans? I pull a 14,000 lbs fifth wheel and would like the added stopping power of an exhaust brake.

Kennedy Guest

I run the BD brake on my 2002. Works very well, and VERY tough construction.

Arrow

There's a photo of an exhaust brake install on a Duramax pickup truck in TDP's 2004 Rendezvous article.

While not offered as a factory option in the 2500HD/3500 pickups, a factory exhaust brake is offered as an option in the 4500/5500 series medium-duty trucks powered by the Duramax 6600.

MP

I ran a BD on th 2001 and I have one on the LLY. Both work well, although as a precaution, I don't run as much back pressure with the LLY because of the VVT.
    01 2500 D/A 4X4 EC SB<br />Xmonitor, High Idle & OD Lock-out, Hot Juiced<br />Prodigy, Bilsteins, TransferFlow Tank/tool box, <br />Kennedy 4\", BD Exhaust Brake, Velvet Rides, Sidewinder Step<br />Amsoil air filter, Fumoto, Delvac 1, Transynd, GM grape juice, Mobil 1<br />JK Secondary Mega 2 mic Filter and Stanadyne Lift Pump with 5 mic Filter<br /><a href=\"http://www.corpair.com/dmax/dmax.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Pictures</a>

I would have to assume this would be held against you if you needed warranty help.
    2003 GMC 2500HD XC/LB/DA/4x2, Michelin LTX\'s pulling a 30\'LQ Sundowner.

I, too, would like an exhaust brake for my '04 3500 LLY. I understand the issue of EB compatibility with the LLY engine is its VGT turbo. I had a Banks Exhaust Brake in my 2003 2500 LB7 which I liked very much, but Banks does not recommend that EB for the LLY and has supposedly been developing a new EB compatible with LLY's VGT turbo. A Banks rep has told me Banks is committed to developing this product but I haven't heard any news on it in awhile.

On the other hand, in November US Gear technical service let me know that in their opinion the miniscule delay in the US Gear exhaust brake D-Celerator engagement allows the vanes in the LLY turbo to return to rest before pressure is built and concluded that the current application for the Duramax (EXB-3554) will work for the 2004 LLY.

Any LLY owners running exhaust brakes yet? I hear the Duramax LLY in the 4500 and 5500 trucks offer (or used to offer) exhaust brakes. Any opinions on the two manufacturer views above? Thanks. --wheeler