Thread: GM cost cutting?

Kennedy Guest

Dunno when it happened, but the exhaust material has changed. Had a 2004 LB7 up for an oil change today, and from the "downpipe" to the muffler inlet is now plain old rustable 409SS like the Banks and other non 304 systems.

Dunno what's under the aluminizing on the earlier models, but they sure do maintain a nicer appearance...

mark45678 Guest

hey Jk I got one that every one will notice! 2001 2500 hd had a under hood and glove box lighting.....NONE in the 2004 lly truck! same trim level, not even a conector in the loom so I could put it in myself! still has the holes in the hood ....WTF! ever check your oil at night or have to do a fuel filter on the side of the road?

Didn't matter much as the u derhood light was on the wrong side. At least that is the way it is on my 2001.
    2001 XCab LB 4WD D/A, Linex, <br />Roadmaster suspension, Hella horns, <br />ARE cap, Hayes running boards, Fumoto Valve

Kennedy Guest

Suffice to say, this is a good example of what a 409SS system will look like. This one had 3600 miles on it and was already orange.

I have a full CC long system laying outside just as clean as it was the day I pulled it. Hasn't hit road salt yet, but definitely exposed to the elements...

There's the good old in-cabin micro filters that got cut starting in the '03 models.

Reason supposedly is that people didn't ever change them in the '99-02 models.

This doesn't surprise me... I had an '01 Suburban and I took it in for the 15000 mi service. I asked my "service advisor" to have them changed and he looked at me like I had 3 heads. He asked me what I was talking about and said he's never had anyone ask to have them changed. I ended up going through the owners manual with the oil change "tech" and showing him how to do it!!! He'd never changed one, and the models of vehicles had been out 3 years.

Its pretty bad when they start cutting features because of things like this. No wonder people weren't changing them... you ask for a 15000 service and they don't do all of the things that are clearly listed in the service manual! This guy didn't even know they existed.

The other thing is the double sun visors. They're on the Suburban LT... why not on the Crew Cab Silverado!?!

-Al
    '03 Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab ...towing my... '96 BMW 328is BMW CCA Club racer

Alan,
    That's sad when GM's own service people don't know of filters they should be changing. How slick is GM? The reason they didn't get changed is because your own peoples don't even know about them. I don't think all techs are like that. One, and only one at my dealership knew about the compartment filter.

They don't add the 2nd visor because they don't want to add another $1000 to an already pricy truck. They should have added it at no cost, but what the hey, ya know, what are ya gonna do?

LA DMAX
    2002 GMC 2500HD SLT 4X4 DMAX/ALLI CC/SB G80, loaded. Pewter/Pewter<br />Add ons: Line-x, Star shield, catch alls, Transynd.

how about the interior floor lights, they worked great for tying work book laces in the morning but they are gone too, guess they cost tooooo much for a 48000 dollar truck. wifes tahoe also does not have them
    2003 white silverado LT C/C D/A<br />285/75/16 duelers on AR breakers<br />stainless locker rails,chrome plated stainless step bars access cover

Just traded my '02 on an '04. I've noticed the lack of the lights but had looked for the cabin filter yet. Won't waste the time now.
    Naw, I gotta go look right now.

Mike

jbplock Guest

Mike,

No cabin filters on the 03's but I don't recall anyone reporting on the 04's yet. Let us know what you find...

[img]smile.gif[/img]

RE: the cabin filters

Did they just leave them out, or eliminate the ability to install them?

If all they did was just leave them out, it wouldn't be so bad. Easy install.

If they changed the duct so they won't accept the filters, that's bad.

Glad you brought it up. Mine are due for replacement.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

They are shaped the same on the '03 as on the '02 and earlier, but the access hole and door are missing.

I suppose if you cut a hole in the duct and put on a door you could install the filters.

-Al
    '03 Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab ...towing my... '96 BMW 328is BMW CCA Club racer