Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Definitive guide to DMax Conversions? Who's written one?

Arrow

Programmers seem to be puzzled by not seeing everything a typical truck should have when it establishes communications with the ECM... When using an aftermarket programmer, it'll "look" at all of the electronics the truck should have. It'll interrogate each system and look for a response. The IP panel gauge cluster is one system that a programmer spends some time with, checking the fuel gauge, checking the oil pressure gauge, tach and so on... I'm not sure how yours might respond if you decide to use a programmer.

I can use a programmer on Lil Red, but it ponders things a bit longer than normal cuz it's looking for the airbags, ABS and the factory HVAC controller. My truck doesn't have these three things. I need to cycle the ignition a couple more times than normal to get it through the upload process, but it works fine otherwise. Again, I'm not sure how yours might respond when using a programmer and without an IP gauge cluster.

Otherwise, the Edge Attitude and VanAaken modules work great, without any issues. I'll be trying a Kennedy ECM here shortly.... one that's been tweaked for perhaps 600 on nitrous....

Jim

If i purchased an EFI Live program from Kennedy, can i program the ecm to ignore my present fault codes, (for example disable codes relating to ABS, Airbags, and codes triggered by a non present IP cluster?

Lightbulb

From what I know at this point in time, I think the EFI Live programmer just might be the ultimate programmer developed so far. It has the ability to do much more than a typical programmer, but.... it'll take someone with more experience with it to answer your questions. JK is using EFI Live to develop a programmed ECM for my unique application. I suppose we'll soon be finding out how this all works together.... I asked for a realistic goal of 600 horsepower, when using a factory turbocharger (but with 32 psi boost), factory injectors and when using nitrous. Other items of interest for special programming were the 3.42 gearing, 275/55R20 tires, eliminate the vehicle speed limiter, and raise the engine's governor.

Jim

Jim i meant to ask you, as for the transfer case, will the transfer case from my 4L80 bolt on to the Allison, or do i have to buy one? Cause they sure are expensive!! and if do have to buy one can i still use my floor shifter rather than using the push button electric shift?

Lightbulb

The 4L80-E/NP-241 transfer case to trans bolt pattern is identical to that used by the Allison/NVG-263 (at least the gasket is the same - I've used them interchangeably). I don't know if the trans output shaft is the same (diameter, # of splines, depth, etc)....

You should be able to use a manual shift transfer case. In fact they are/were optional in the 2001+ trucks. The wiring harness is different - due the lack of stuff on the manual version. I don't know for sure, but an electric shift wiring harness might work for a manual shift Txfer case - you'd just have some unused connectors.

Jim