Thread: EGT pyrometer installation

Arrow

I've received a number of email requests about pyrometer installation, and thought I should repost the tech page we have that explains the process.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/drillman.htm

Since we first published our gauge installation article in January of 2002, I've seen a number of magazine product reviews for Duramax power products that follow this same exact recommendation. In addition, my own pyro installation done in late 2001, still works great.

MP

More Power, my truck is stock, so if I were to add Juice or Predator, when would I have to be worried about EGT? Would you then recommend installing a bigger exhaust and gauges? I rarely tow, so is EGT really only a concern for those that pull heavy loads? Thanks for the insight. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2002 GMC 2500HD D/A CC SB 4x4 pewter, Rhino Liner, Cam-Locker Side Boxes, Bilsteins, Edge Juice<br />2005 Yamaha Rhino

If you are going to be adding any type of performance upgrade, Juice, predator, etc. I would strongly recommend some type of EGT gauge.

With my Juice setup on level 2-3 I can see EGT temps around 1100. The highest recommended is about 1350 for exended periods of time. I have never run an EGT gauge on a stock system.

Installing an EGT probe in the exhause is a piece of cake, it took me about 15 minutes to do mine.
    Andrew Fessler
    03 - 2500HD LS D/A, CC, SB
    Rhino Lined, EFI Live, Remote Radar,

Question

Can the duramax take 1350 for a long pull, say for five minutes? Does that oil cooling injection on the pistons help? I always thought that about 1250 was pushing it. I have been able to get my left bank to go to 1300 in Level two reg juice on an extended pull with 14,000 lbs in tow on a 6% grade, on an 80 degree day I have the banks monster exhaust also. I haven't noticed any real difference in my exhaust temps or performance after adding the exhaust, just more noise. I had the reg juice for about a year before I added the pipes. If it won't hurt to hold 1300 dgrees, I'll let it run. Please let me know what you think. I used to back off at 1300. But if it won't hurt it, I'll let it walk. I have 42,000 trouble free miles so far. Thanks

Arrow

A stock Dmax can run up to 1400 degrees EGT while pulling. I've had mine there once in a rare situation, and I've heard from at least one other (Inspector) who reported 1400 degrees while pulling with a stock Dmax.

In my case, I was running on I-90 at about 78-mph with our 7K TT in tow, we began climbing a rolling hill, the speed fell till the Allison dropped into direct, and then ran to/at the governor. I saw 1400 then. A typical stock maximum EGT when climbing extended grades is 1250 for my truck.

A free-flowing exhaust helps with lowering EGT, as does a free-flowing air filter or intake system. Beyond that, learning how to manage the powertrain while towing (throttle position, gear selection, boost pressure and vehicle speed) can be very helpful when trying to limit EGT's.

Experience has shown that the Duramax 6600 is very tolerant of high EGT's, but the true max may be more a matter of how gutsy the driver is. Conservative is safer...

MP

Bill, I take it you are already in 4th with that weight and running the Edge on level 2. My trailer only weighs 10K so I can pull most of your hills in 5th at around 1250. When mine hits 1300 I slow down or force a downshift. Later! Frank
    02 2500 HD EC SB<br />Juice 4.61<br />Post OEM Racor 660<br />Back Country Bars<br />Roll Lock Cover<br />B & W Turnover

Inspector Guest

I just returned from a trip to southern Utah to pick up my trailer. On the way back I had a momentary hit of 1391 degrees on my Spa gauge and the attitude only read 850. Needless to say I have some ajusting to do on the probe depth of the attitude. Before leaving, solo, I spent the time to set the Spa probe at exactly dead center in the passenger side manifold. I am confident that the reading is close to accurate.
    I think 1350 is about as much as I want to push the EGT issue.
    On another note, this trip did not produce an SES light. All other trips have kicked the light on without any noticable change in performance. I think that opening up the air box may have and I use that loosely, cured that problem. Matt at Edge has read my computer twice now and both times there was a MAF code stored. I think more air was the ticket but don't quote me. It wasn't that warm out yet.
    Denny

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply's and the great advice. I was a little concerned when I saw the 1300 reading, and I backed out of it a little. If 1350 is fairly safe, I might let it run at 1300 from now on. I have a probe in the drivers side about 3" from the manifold in the pipe. And I have the typical install mounted in the passenger side back of the manifold. They are both the same probes (isspro and gauges). What is funny is that the left (Drivers)side actually reads or climbs a little faster and while towing in a long high rpm 23 to 25 psi boost type pull (level 2), the egt's are about 50 to 100 degrees higher on the left bank. I would think that the right bank would read a little higher because the probe is closer to the cylinders. But maybe the restriction in the left manifold makes more heat? Who knows? Any way, when I'm cruising both of the gauges read the same temps. Thanks again for the input from everyone. I wish the dealers would have some of their tech's read the diesel page. I think they would have a better understanding of what the problems are, and fixes for them on thier products. It is great to have all of the Tech's and engineer's that give their advice and cures for our d/max's on the diesel page forums. Thank's again to all of you. Have a safe and wonderful Spring.