Thread: Block Heater

Default Block Heater

I recently purchased a 2007 2500HD Duramax (LBZ), my first diesel. I have been using the block heater when the temp is below 30 as instructed. Well, the question that I have is the block heater cord is directly installed and can not be fished out the front (grill) as some other diesels have done. I have been running it through the wheel well and plugging it into an extension cord. This is a pain everytime I use it! Is there a way that I can run it out the grill, possibly something that looks and performs good, possibly aftermarket?

Welcome aboard TDP - and I'll be the first to say I am somewhat jealous of your new '07 LBZ!!!

The cords on my 01 and 02 find their way outside the engine compartment in a small gap near the headlight bucket and the grill. If redesign has eliminated this possibility, I would persist in finding a way to route a cord (even if it is a short heavy duty extension cord) between the bumper and grille and follow the trans cooler or A/C condenser lines from there.

Idea: Add a small 2A underhood float charger mounted underhood that powers up anytime your truck is plugged in, topping off the batteries at the same time. Your batteries will last longer, and be 100% ready to go anytime its cold enough out to warrant block heat.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I installed a permanent mount plug (http://www.marinco.com/scpt/ProdPage...0Shore%20Power) into the left corner of my front bumper. It has a rubber flap that snaps into the opening to keep stuff out. This way all I do is open the flap and plug in an extension cord right there. It's a solid mount and my cord won't get bounced around anymore.

I've been trying to get the pictures of my install to show up here in this post, but I'm having trouble. If you go into the Photo Album and search for my photo album you'll see them. I'm not sure why I can't get them to be included in this post...sorry.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Dennis,
    Nice set-up! That's what I'm talking about, and I plan to add one like yours. I can't believe that GM produces these trucks with the cheesy cord that you have to raise the hood evrytime to use. Good Looking Out!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Willy G
    Dennis,
    Nice set-up! That's what I'm talking about, and I plan to add one like yours. I can't believe that GM produces these trucks with the cheesy cord that you have to raise the hood evrytime to use. Good Looking Out!
    It's not GM. It's the industry standard. All of them do it, even OTR manufacturers, Mercedes, Audi, etc. A/C block heaters have always seemed to be a second hand afterthought, both in design and function. I can see the first model rolling off the line...."Hey, Bill....I think we forgot something"....."Oh, yeah....Here....Throw this thing in there...." And, such is how it's been since then.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Talking

I like Dennis' idea ALOT. So much in fact that I plan a trip to my local marine dealer as I know they have them on the shelf.

Plan to mount mine facing straight forward, and use a short extension cord secured midway to something stout in front of the truck. I can't tell you how many times I have backed halfway out of my driveway dragging the cord...now I won't have to remember at all!!!
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I also used a Marinco plug like Dennis's..

(click on the pics to enlarge)

Here's a previous thread on this subject from a few years back .. Block Heater

Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

I have also seen on firetrucks that they use a plug/socket that will eject the connected power cord when the truck is started. It's called an Auto-Eject. It works pretty good, most of the newer style firetrucks come standard with them. I have them on the trucks at my fire station. But, we do not rely on it, we still unplug it, but it is a great backup.

Good idea, Mark, on mounting it in the front. I have to actually step over my cord to get to the driver's door so the only reason I put it on the side was for aesthetics. But, mounting it in the front is more practical. One "extra" step I took was in sealing the backside of the connector/mount. There is a rubber boot that comes with it to seal where the heater cord enters the mount. I added a GENEROUS amount of marine silicone inside the boot and on/around where the cord actually attaches. These Marinco plugs are quite easy to get, but if anybody has a problem, let me know. One of my jobs is at a marina (yes, we do have marinas in PA!).
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Today I had the chance to see if the plug would reach to the front. I fished it around and it made it to the front grill. I had to remove the passenger headlight and blinker to help out. I also had to cut the wire loom that the cord comes out of, to make about (2) more inches. I am going to use it temporary and add a plug later when the weather is nicer.

You could add a pre wired 4 outlet electrical box on the inside fender well, then run the cord from that out the front. I use all 4 plug outlet's, 1-block heater, 2-oil pan heater, 3-4 battery blankets.