Thread: Dually drum brakes

Default Dually Drum Brakes?

Quick question...My rear brakes are so touchy after new lines, cylinders etc....makes me nervous driving them they will lock at slow speed, I think I may have adjusted them incorrectly when slappin' em back together. Anyone know the correct adjustment procedure for rear drums on a 1 ton full floater? Thanks for any help.
    1988 C3500 2x4 extended cab 6.2 N/A TH400 Dually

Cool

I adjust these brakes every day I normaly adjust up tight and then back off 4 time not 4 full truns but when you have the adjuster tool or screw driver through the hole you engauge the star wheel and move it one time the max you can move it do that 4 times.

that has always severed me good for the last 25 years, grease on the brake pads will cause lock up also.

hope this helps
    2003 CHEVY 4500 DURAMAX/ALLISON 14'
    SERVICE CRANE BODY 16,500 LBS 14.5 MPG
    1998 K3500 SRW CREW CAB TRANSPLANTED 6.5TD ELECTROINC INTO, HEATH COMPUTER, 40+HP INJECTORS, 4" EXHAUST, VACUUM ELEMTINATOR ON TURBO,UPGRADED COOLING WITH ALL GM PARTS,NO VACUUM PUMP, SST OIL COOLER LINES MADE LOCALY FRACTION OF THE COST, 3" TOURBO/BOOST GAUSGE ALL IN ONE, ADDED GEAR DRIVE GREAT HELP WITH STARTING TIME DOESN'T JUMP AROUND ANY MORE, INTERCOOLER 3" INLET AND OUTLET COOLER 12x24x4, ALSO ADDED MANDEL BENT CROSS OVER, HAD TRUCK REPAINTED AND OPUT ON ALUM FLAT BED

Thanks man I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Now when you're adjusting them, with the wheels on, which direction is loosening them? drivers side twist the screw up or down? Passenger side?

Make sure you installed the shorter shoe (one has shorter lining length)
    on the front side.
    If done backwards they will reeeeeeeeeeeeeeely get tweeky
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

OOOH these babies are tweaky i tell ya I think i'm going to buy brand new shoes and install them, the old shoes didn't look very worn but i like to go overkill. I'll check to make sure they are in the right way and adjust them accordingly thanks for the tips.

When you are tightering shoes you can hear the adjust wheel click up as they tighten.If you overtighten you can insert a small screwdriver into hole lift up on star lock and back off with another screwdriver.I usually adjust up until I feel slight drag on drum.Redbird2 probably knows adjust better than me.It,s just worked for me.Goodluck
    98 c/c l/b 4x4 dually 6.5td i/c,boost cntrl,boch h/f,4in straight ex,boost/pyro guages &h/f air