Thread: Detroit Diesel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Back in the late 70's i was helped my boss put a 453 in a 77 4wd 1/2 ton suburban. The biggest problem we had was that the engine wasn't working hard enough and would glaze the cylinder walls. He used it as a dd and he pulled trailers often. He put a scraper engine in it first then he bought a brand new engine and we put it in, we had to tear it down after a couple of years and deglaze the cylinders. These engines want to work hard. It was a lot of work to install an a lot of BS to deal with, I had to make a custom oil pan to clear the front diff and we had to make are own bell housing, he used a chrysler 727 with a factory overdrive unit on the back of it, I think it was an od could have been a u/d (long time ago) anyway that was the only trans like that i ever seen.
    Good luck doing the conversion and I hope you still like detroits as much when you are finished, O yea invest in a good set of ear plugs because the don't call them screamin detroits for nuthin
    Good luck
    If I can be of any assistance let me know rhrepairs@aol .com
    Ron
    rhsub 99K2500 suburban 6.5 code F,4L80, 4:10, FSD cooler, DSG oil cooler and lines, Dtech FSD, injectors, Isspro egt, trans and boost guages, Bilistein shocks

hi, im wondering if anyone has considered using a 3-53 in a jeep wrangler, i have a 91 YJ and would love to put a detroit in it. does anyone know also, if the 3-53Ts used in the gama goats were 4 valve head engines?

what would you use as a trans in such a conversion on a jeep wrangler?