Thread: dhack

Default dhack

has anyone had expierance with fuel tank sending units ? I replaced two in my 1995 K3500 6.5 dually stake body dump. 22 gal tank. The unit reads ok until it gets below Half full. then the gage jumps around as if the fuel is sloshing around in the tank. The needle does not hit on empty before the truck runs out of fuel. Is there balles in the tank to prevent this from happening ?
    thanks
    Denny

Does the needle stop moving after the truck does?
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.

the needle does stop moving after the truck stops
    thanks
    denny

There are baffles inside the typical GM fuel tank that prevent undue sloshing. I don't know if your particular tank does, if it's not the typical pickup fuel tank.

The in-tank sending unit is a variable resistance slider, that varies its output according to the fuel level. The electrical contact area on the slider might have some crud that is preventing good contact below a half tank. I'd remove the sender/pickup package from the tank, then look at the slider. A couple swipes with 400 wet/dry sandpaper should clean it up.

Jim

thank you I will do as you suggest but the sending unit is the second I have installed, the first had the same symtems until it failed.

Are you using commercial diesel fuel?

Jim

I use fuel from several differant gas stations