I agree... GM (and Ford & Dodge) sat on their hands for the past 9 years, even though they had a light-duty diesel in the pipeline. None of them was willing to take the lead and actually introduce one (GM was waiting for Ford to take the lead). In doing so, they all passed up a tremendous opportunity to expand their brand and sell a lot of diesel powered vehicles.

Never say never, but I do not believe GM/Ford/Dodge will ever expand their diesel offerings here in the U.S. I say this because of the current political climate, gas/diesel cost difference, diesel engine option cost premium and the improvement in gasoline technology - primarily direct-injected gas engines and other fuel efficiency technologies that improve gas fuel mileage.

It does expand an opportunity for the Suburban/Duramax conversion market. They're currently selling for about $80K, which begins with a used 2500-series gas powered Suburban.

DMAX is down to a single shift 6-days a week, but they are optimistic for the future. No doubt....

Jim