Thread: Tekonsha voyager - brake issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

When I adjust brakes I typically crank them unitl I can no longer rotate the wheel, then back off until it rotates freely.

The controller should have a gain or level dial or both if memory serves. Isn't there a green light that goes red in varying shades?

Basicaly you activate the brakes with light pedal and adjust the level dial until full green, then creep up on where it turns red.

I moved up to the Prodigy several years ago and have not looked back. Instead of a pendulum they use an accelerometer like a Gtech. No more leveling. Now I am looking to test the new P3 and see how that does.

One more thing for trailer brake service. It's been a while since I bought parts, but loaded backing plates (all the guts mounted just bolt on and splice wires) was generally in the $75ea range and not a bad idea to just start fresh.

Check the ground(s) very thoroughly too.

Gotta run the Fighter jets are ripping by today on training missions. I love to watch them streak over...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

The P3 is technically an improvement, offers more features and adjustability, but has digital gain in place of the more familiar thumb wheel or slider found on other models.

When you have 17K# of boat and trailer bearing down on you, and its time for some more brakes (without taking your eyes of the road) the digital +/- arrows are hard to find, and impossible to know what you are dialing in, until you investigate the digital readout.

More than once I have reached down and rotated the thumb wheel up 50%, lifted off the brake pedal, and re-applied to get MAX trailer braking happening in an emergency braking situation - eyes never leaving the road/situation in front of me.

P3 = Great unit - with one seriously bad 'feature' for use in an emergency braking situation.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

When we got the new trailer last year, we spent the bucks for the Prodigy and am I ever glad we did. Probably the best controller I have ever used, and I have used alot of them. If the Gods of financial benevelance shine upon us, I am thinking of converting the trailer to four wheel disks. As I tow with a car, we can use all the brakes we can get.

That of course will dictate that we go to the P3 or equivalent as the Prodigy can't control the newer electric over hydraulics system required for the disks. One interesting unit that I have seen is the new digital rf controller. Everything goes on the trailer and the control panel is essentially a wireless portable unit. Would allow you to use multiple tow vehicles without re-wiring them. All the wiring is on the trailer side.

Chris, if you want some help with this, I would be more then willing. I'm just down the road from you in Manotick. PM me with your co-ordinates.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Default convert2diesel

Thanks...I just got some very detailed technical info from Dexter Axle. I'll give you a shout if I need to.

C.
    2002 2500HD Crew Cab 4X2 D/A

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rinker View Post
    The P3 is technically an improvement, offers more features and adjustability, but has digital gain in place of the more familiar thumb wheel or slider found on other models.

When you have 17K# of boat and trailer bearing down on you, and its time for some more brakes (without taking your eyes of the road) the digital +/- arrows are hard to find, and impossible to know what you are dialing in, until you investigate the digital readout.

More than once I have reached down and rotated the thumb wheel up 50%, lifted off the brake pedal, and re-applied to get MAX trailer braking happening in an emergency braking situation - eyes never leaving the road/situation in front of me.

P3 = Great unit - with one seriously bad 'feature' for use in an emergency braking situation.
    That's about what I saw when installing. Thankfullly it plugs into the same harness and fits in the same no tools mounting cubby so I'll take the Prodigy along in case I don't like it. I too have high praises for the Prodigy.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

The Prodigy is a cool tool! Once hooked up and pulled the horse trailer a short distance down the road. Kept getting a wierd symbol on the Prodigy readout as I was moving down the road and knew something was up with the brakes. Wasn't too worried about stopping the trailer without its brakes as it was empty and my destination was close. Pulled out the quick reference manual and found the wierd symbol was an error code telling me I had a bad ground connection. Sure enough, my trailer ground wire had broken and it was getting a partial on-and-off ground through the hitch ball.

I like it for my occassional use!
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"