Thread: '92 service manual/cold advance solenoid

I'm going for 2 birds with one stone here. My first year 6.5TD factory service manual leaves a lot to be desired. Omits 6.5TD stuff and refers to 6.2. The last 3 days, upon cold start up my truck fails to initialize the cold advance circuit and drops to normal idle immediately. I'm want to replace the cold advance solenoid. One place in the manual it shows the solenoid under the IP cover, another place (fast idle speed adjustment) it shows a solenoid external of the IP but refers to it as fast idle solenoid. Gmpartsdirect shows the part 'cold advance solenoid #15578218' for $50.00.
    Also, is the '93 service manual any better than the '92 as far as differentiating the 6.2 from the 6.5TD??
    DP member #38 1992 Chev K2500 RPO C6P 6.5TD 150K miles
    2014 John Deere 1025R

There is a fast idle solenoid(external) and a cold advance solenoid(in the top of pump.) You can check the fast idle by unplugging and applying 12volt to it the plugger should kick out. The advance solenoid can be checked by unplugging and plugging back in w/the key on. It should make a slight short buzz when power is supplied. Also check and see if you have power to these items when the key is on and the engine is cold. You should have power to the temp switch on the coolant crossover, then on the other side to the componets. The trouble shooting guide(hard starting) explains things pretty well. I find the same problems w/the manuals also, but the operations are close to the same. The thing I can find is the temp inhibit switch for the glow plugs. I know it works but it's no place to be found. Anybody have any ideas?

[ 10-22-2003, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: cruzer ]
    92 GMC std cab C2500, Kennedy high flow injectors,port matched, Banks exhaust & gauges, intercooler, 97 cooling, Turbo Master.A means for a Toy

gmctd Guest

Glow plug temp inh switch is the one in the coolant crossover.

Cold fast idle switch is in the passenger-side head, rear outside.
    I'd check this one before replacing the fast idle solenoid.
    CLosed at cold, off at +140 or so deg.

jd

Arrow

Posting update for future reference.

Vehicle: 1992 Chev 3/4 ton C6P with 6.5TD

Symptom: Engine starts but drops to normal operating temperature idle speed of 650 +/- 50 RPM, regardless of actual coolant temperature.

Resolution: Defective IP cold advance coolant temperature switch.

GM part #: 10154649 Switch AS

Physical location of defective part: switch is threaded into coolant crossover manifold on passenger side.

Circuit operation description: Ignition switch in 'ON' position. IP cold advance coolant temp switch detects temp of <95
    DP member #38 1992 Chev K2500 RPO C6P 6.5TD 150K miles
    2014 John Deere 1025R

catmandoo Guest

i took the top off the ip to turn it up after putting my turbo on it and now my cold advance doesn't work .is there something i could have got out of place putting the top back on?