Thread: Lift kit recommendations

Default Lift kit recommendations

Missy here is going to do a 6 inch lift on the 91 Burb.

I have looked at several brands of kits and am still ???????????/ as to what brand is the best for the $$$$$$$$$$

I want a spring front, add a leaf rear with blocks
    I want a complete kit with all the goodies and not one that I have to go an buy all the little crap as extras.

Any input from perosnal experience is appreciated.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I'm quite partial to BDS. Got the 4 incher on my Sub to replace the 2 inch Rough Country lift. The name is quite accurate! Rough Country bounced the vehicle around sooo much. Put on the BDS with their shocks and it really made a night and day difference. The ride is still firm yet comfortable, hard to describe. The vehicle also became a lot more controllable. The BDS kit and shocks do not transmit every imperfection in the roadway to the cab like the RC kit did. It really seems to take on the bumps at a higher rate speed and still remain in control.

I could really tell the difference because I had the RC kit on for 10 years so I "knew" the ride before installing the BDS about 3 years ago.

BTW, I've got the BDS new 4" springs in the front, 4" blocks (with my 3/4 ton factory springs) in the rear with their add-a-leaf just to bring up the rear a little more.

Their quality is top notch along with customer service. Although the white paint on the shocks started flaking and rusting pre-maturely. Still function but ain't pretty to look it. Good luck. Check out thier website.
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"

Thanks

Missy
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

If you want a good setup I would recommend checking out www.offroaddesign.com

Their website shows a 3 inch kit but they will put together whatever size you want. I would also recommend using either a shackle flip kit in the rear or do full replacement springs. But that's just me. If I ever redo the lift on my chevy, which is 6 inch superlift, I would run the shackle flip in the rear.
    Kris
    kris985118@comcast.net
    1982 Chevy K10 6.5TD shortbed stepside 700R4, 5inch pipe

2003 Dodge 3500 4x4 cc/lb Cummins HO/48RE, K&N kit, straight pipe, roktech, FASS, six-gun/sl with PDA boost,pryo,trans,fuel gauges

Thanks for the input.

Still sorting out the data thats out there.

Far too many "KITS" at varying prices for the same brands and components to just Jump in and toss $$$$$ around.

RC
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I have a 6 inch Supelift kit in my 83 that I installed in 1993. Six inch lift front springs and 4 inch blocks with add-a-leaves in the back. It easily clears 35" BFGs and would probably clear 38's with minor trimming.

The ride is miserable and as soon as I have time to start working on her again, I will be be swapping out the lift to a more managable lift of 2 inches or so.

I think that 16 years ago, the method of lifting (over-arched springs with thick leaf packs and solid crimp keepers) was primarily to make the trucks look cool. Newer packages allow the leaves to flex and actually act as a suspension. Another recommendation is to spend the extra on rear springs. the blocks cause a bunch of axle wrap and break leaves. Even on bigger spring packs.
    2012 Chevy 2500HD ECSB, 6.0L gas, auto, 4x4, LT
    2003 F450, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd stick, 2wd, dump truck
    1983 GMC K2500 pickup - working on a Cummins 5.9L swap
    1987 GMC K3500 Dump, 6.2L diesel, TH400 auto - project plow truck

Oh - one more thing:

The steering arm on the axle is usually inlcuded with the kit, but when you go as high as 6 inches, you probably should also add the offset drag link too. My steering arm on the D60 was replaced with a new one from the lift kit, but the drag link was at a sharp angle that caused serious bump steer and kept the ball joint ends at their limit. To remedy this, I drilled out the conical section of the arm, had a machine shop make a new cone section and inverted the ball joint end to ride on the top of the arm rather than the bottom. This may not be possible on the smaller 10 bolt steering arms, so save yourself the hassle and get the offset drag link.
    2012 Chevy 2500HD ECSB, 6.0L gas, auto, 4x4, LT
    2003 F450, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd stick, 2wd, dump truck
    1983 GMC K2500 pickup - working on a Cummins 5.9L swap
    1987 GMC K3500 Dump, 6.2L diesel, TH400 auto - project plow truck