Thread: 2011 Trucks - February Update

Arrow 2011 Trucks - February Update

2011 Chevrolet 2500HD/3500 Trucks
    This past February 4th, and we learned all about GM's plans for the 2011 model year GM 2500HD/3500 series pickups. Though we're expecting a price increase of $3,000-$5,000, due to the addition of the "Diesel Exhaust Fluid" (urea) system, GM is back with a range of improvements and upgrades that promise to make GM the HD diesel truck leader. Go here for all of the new truck details.

2011 LML Duramax 6600
    Engine & Emissions Tech
    The 2010 emissions regulations are upon us - as well as GM. Here's an indepth look at the new 2011 LML Duramax 6600 and emissions equipment. How's it all work? What effect will it have on ownership? What else is new & different about the Duramax? We'll answer all these questions and more.

Reading about the urea injection and system and the Diesel Exhaust Fluid......the first thing that comes to mind: "Is this some kind of joke?"

I'm reminded of Muffler Bearings and Blinker Fluid. Most people will react the same way when they hear of Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

Man oh man, I'm sure glad the government isn't controlling every aspect of our lives!!!! (limiting speed until you refill the DEF tank)

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

When compared to the outgoing 2010 models, GM is hoping the increased GVWR/GCVWR, increased braking power, stronger frames, smoother ride, Stabilitrak/anti-sway control, exhaust brake, 20" wheels, more luxurious interiors, improved fuel economy and more will help compensate for the tedium and added cost of the 2011 model-year DEF system. They are sweet trucks.... Muffler bearings and blinker fluid are optional...

Jim

Do you know if Ford and Dodge will be installing similar systems? I haven't studied much on the competition lately.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

If I remember correctly, Ford's new Scorpian diesel will use DEF, but the Dodge diesel light-trucks might not. Curiously, the Dodge medium-duty Cummins-equipped trucks are supposed to be using DEF.

It's a tough call to know how it'll all turn out...

I'm for re-evaluating the EPA's diesel emissions regulations - in light of the economy and the reduced on-road use of diesel fuel, and the 90+% percent improvement in diesel emissions since 1990.

Jim

If I remember correctly, Ford's new Scorpian diesel will use DEF, but the Dodge diesel light-trucks might not. Curiously, the Dodge medium-duty Cummins-equipped trucks are supposed to be using DEF.
    You're right:

Ford - urea req'd for F250 on up
    Ram - no urea req'd for 3/4 & 1 ton pickups IIRC. They're using some other kind of aftertreatment for NOx. Chassis cabs use urea.

In the heavy duty truck world, Navistar is the lone ranger opting for gobs of EGR. I believe everybody else is using SCR (the emissions device that requires urea).
    2002 LB7 2500 CC LB 4x4 80k
    6 spd, 3.73, 265's

Thanks for the info.... I hope it all works....

Jim

Great write-up, Jim! I always look forward to your update articles.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Looks like a very serious truck!

I'm just not very excited about the SCR system.
    Chevy K2500 Silverado 6.5 TD