TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2014 - TDP's 19th Year
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Chevrolet & GMC 2500HD/3500 Light Trucks > 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain Discussion Forum for the 2001 & newer 2500HD/3500 Trucks, Transmissions & Drivetrain

Old 01-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast

If you ever have a chance to see the rear rotors taken off, you will see how skinny and small these parking brake shoes really are. They aren't much. And one good run about a mile or so leaving them on by accident would probably make them pretty inefective.
I have parked on a hill before with a heavy load and the road was slick, I had to put the truck into 4 wd and set the brake. At least the parking pawl and all four wheels kept it from sliding. I don't think the emergency brake would have held the truck by it self even on dry road. And it was adjusted up pretty good.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Default Hard to believe

I cannot believe how much has been going back and forth on several forums for several years on the parking brake problem on GM trucks.

My boss runs The Los Angeles Equestrian Center and recently asked me to adjust his parking brake on his 2004 GMC dually. At first I was put off a bit because there was no cable slack adjuster so I went to the back wheels which have disk brakes and upon inspection I could see the used the same practice as some other vehicles including my 1971 911 which is to use a small drum with shoes in the rotor.

The problem with GM is to make the pieces work the left or drivers side the star adjuster for the parking brake is at the bottom of the backing plate and on the right the plate is upside down so the star adjustment must be done on top of axle between the plate and the leaf springs I am sure this is the usual make what you have in the parts bin work.

The solution is adjust the left as normal moving the teeth on the star down to expand the shoes ad leave enough play so they don't drag. Now the kicker as Wild bill stated in his post you must make a tool by using a long screwdriver by measuring the distance from the star to the first 90 degree bend between the springs and backing plate then back from there far enough to clear the axle and make another angle down but it is not quite a 90 you have to play with it till you have the right angle to move the star up or down in this case up to tighten. That takes care of the shoe adjustment .

This got his parking brakes back but he split before I had a chance to figure out the foot peddle mechanism I beleive you can adjust the cable slack there also there is a small bar that seemed to disengage the cable wheel when you push down on it and I will figure that out when he gets back and post what I discover.

Folks we get thousands of these trucks at the Equestrian center every year and judging from the amount of complaints and the lack of answers to the problem of the parking brake I can make a fortune and buy a new GM dually for myself.

Roy

Last edited by Frog; 05-01-2010 at 08:11 PM.