Thread: Homerx

Default Homerx

N E 1 mount a cooling fan between engine driven fan and radiator, no room in frt of coolers. 1999 GMC Sub., also I installed the D,max fan on my truck, should fan be all the way inside fan shroud, mine is toward engine about an inch. Thanks any response would be welcome.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Homerx View Post
    N E 1 mount a cooling fan between engine driven fan and radiator, no room in frt of coolers. 1999 GMC Sub., also I installed the D,max fan on my truck, should fan be all the way inside fan shroud, mine is toward engine about an inch. Thanks any response would be welcome.
    There's only about 3" of clearance between the face of the engine-driven fan-clutch and the rear surface of the radiator. Space it tight.

Centrifugal force is the bigger player in a fan moving air. So yes, the rear portion of the fan blades should be unshrouded. This allows the air to exit around the circumference of the fan as well as straight back. If all of the moving air was forced straight back, it would pile up in front of the engine and somewhat restrict air flow. Air flow is improved when allowed to exit around the perimeter of the fan tip circle.

Incidentally, the thermostatic fan-clutch is one of the more important components in the cooling system. If the clutch engages late or never, the engine will experience chronic overheating no matter what else an owner might do to improve cooling. Most here like the Kennedydiesel.com re-calibrated fan-clutch, which engages at a somewhat lower temp than a normal stock one will.

Jim