Thread: no go

Default no go

i was driving my truck and all a sudden it sounded like it popped into neutral. so i pulled over and tryed to put it in park but it grinded like the tranny was still spinning. So i shut it off and parked it. Started it again, drove normal then popped into "neutral" again. This time the shutting off didnt fix it. So i shifted the transfer case to 4H without locking the hubs and it drove so i went to turn around and when i put it in reverse, again same thing. Like it was in neutral. But putting in 4L Allowed me to get home very slowly. Idid not lock the hubs so it was in 4wheel drive. whats wrong?

Arrow

(assuming you have a NP208)
    The transfer case needs bearings, at least. If you're lucky, a hardware kit and an afternoon will take care of it. Don't drive it until it's fixed, or you'll need more parts. Usually the bearings go, which misaligns one or more shafts, which prevents it from staying in gear. Drain it, and poke in a stick magnet. If you get small metal chunks, that's what likely happened. It could be other things, but you'll have to open it up to find out. If you can turn a wrench or have any gearbox experience, the transfer case is very easy. No gaskets. Use sealer. The kit will have all the parts needed for overhaul. If gears, forks, or any other large part is damaged, you can get them from a local tranny shop. Also, get the shift fork pads (little plastic pads). They don't come with the kit (or didn't used to), but the tranny shop should be able to get them. They are usually worn out completely, or missing.

Service (refill) with ATF. NOT gear oil.

Or, spend $500-1000 on a rebuilt. These will usually be no better than what you can do yourself for less than $200. I do not recommend getting a used gearbox from a recycler (wrecking yard). In all likelihood, it'll be only slightly better than what you have now, and could let go at any time. They are good for cores, but little else.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

alright. Ill tear it off and apart. If i have any questions can I ask you? Youve done one before? and yea it is a 208. but my buddy has a 205, will it bolt on? or is it a bigger job? Jw

Arrow

The NP205 is the preferred case, but not a "bolt on" swap. It can be adapted relatively easy with available OEM and aftermarket parts.

Find out where you are with the 208. If you can repair it with an overhaul kit yourself, that will likely be the most effective and least expensive solution. The parts needed to adapt the 205 will be similar to the 208 repair. If the 205 needs repair, the cost is nearly double, in most cases. If possible, get your hands on that 205. You may want/need it later. If not, you'll have no problem finding someone who will be happy to take it off your hands.

It's been a few years since I've opened a 208 case, but I've done a bunch since the 80's. They are a very simple gearbox. If you get the hardware kit and do it yourself, the most difficult part is setting the bearings (all internal shaft bearings). They are "free" rollers (needles), meaning they are not captured (like other shaft/wheel bearings). They are packed in a heavy/sticky grease that holds them together. It is easier to leave the grease on them and push them in place, several at a time. Keep pushing them in until no more will fit, with the shaft in place. Don't forget to source/replace the plastic shift fork pads. There should be 4 of them, IIRC. Use no gaskets on the case. It's sealed together with RTV. I use blue Permatex. You can also use orange (high temp), but don't use black (the ATF breaks it down). The best thing to do is get friendly with a local tranny shop. They'll be able to get all the parts for you, and some advice as needed. The NP208 is the easiest gearbox you'll ever do. It's straight forward and the parts are large. Using a diagram would only serve to confuse. Replace what's broken, service it properly, and it'll be ready for another couple hundred thousand miles of abuse.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

ok sick. Im leaning towards the rebuild but im thinking get the 205 and rebuild it later and switch and just sell my 208 cause itll be rebuilt. I found a rebuild step by step guide. But i still gotta get the transfer case off my truck. and the rebuild kit. hopefully tonight after workk ill get it off.

Check drivetrain.com out of Vegas. Kits are compleat and advise/help by phone.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold