Thread: Locked up Rear Diff?

Default Locked up Rear Diff?

1996 3/4 Suburban 6.5TD 14 Bolt Diff.
    VIN: 1GKGK26F8TJ721153 <wink/wink> if I can find a build sheet, to define parts.

Last weekend trip, kid with trainers permit, gets to hear a nice howling from the back of the Suburban....
    Diff, was locked up as evidenced by any attempt to turn a sharp corner without wheel hopping before we had this happen.....

Only time it made any bad sound was once when rolling down a decent grade at speed, torque reversed, it let out a good wail, about, jumped out of the seat. Expected to have nothing but, after switching drivers was surprised to find no noise/issue except that diff was still locked, I think I got to it in time.

Pulled the cover off last night and found a nice neat pile of metal on the magnet, and lube has a nice sparkle to it.

What diff is this?

I have a mechanic willing to work with me, he's been through this before, what pitfalls in the replacement.

Can this be fixed cheaply by removing locking features and going with a free diff? This is a highway queen used as a people mover, not an offroad racer by any streach of the imagination...

Bearings / main pinion / all else seem ok for wear, just the center has something broken.

Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's an Eaton locking differential carrier. To go to an open diff. You will need to replace the carrier. You will need the side gears and spider gears from the replacement carrier, too.

Look in the glove box for the RPO codes. G80 is the locker code (IIRC)

Might be worth while to see what's wrong with it before deciding to replace it. Also, you might want to check E-bay. Those carriers show up rather frequently. You might find it listed as "Gov-loc" or "Gov-lock", although Eaton does not use that term.

There is currently a rebuilt unit listed as item 260944624123. I know nothing about it or the seller.
    Last edited by JohnC; 02-01-2012 at 12:06.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Thanks....

Have a used / loaded carrier comming home today $225...

That will get me through for now, may take on rebuilding what I have for the fun of it and tossing it back in after winter is over and I can work in more comfort.

Where to you get the "guts" of these differentials?