Thread: Need a little insite on a swap / 4 speed - NV4500

Default Need a little insite on a swap / 4 speed - NV4500

Hi everyone, I am getting ready to do my swap from the Granny 4 speed & NP241 case To a NV4500 & BW4401 case.

I know the tranny will bolt to my Bell-housing or I think it will, and I know that I am going to have to have the first drive shaft made longer also the front 4X4 shaft will need replacing. I am almost sure that the tranny mount will be the same also. I think the speedo plug will be the same but not sure yet??

The NV4500 & BW4401 case came out of a 94 - 95 1 ton, mine is a 91 3/4 ton.

Both have the same type external cly set up.

Is there anything I am overlooking? I am working by myself with only a floor jack or 2, I think i can use some large straps to help me maneuver the tranny & case if I don't seperate them, time will tell. Just asking others that have done this swap to see if I am over looking anything that might cause trouble. I am not going to mess with the clutch just yet, I am building a 6.5 for later this summer...

Thanks, chris
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

I have the NV4500 in my truck and I would suggest breaking the trans and transfer case apart. That trans alone is a load in it's self. Have changed mine with a floor jack and with one of those fancy trany jacks. I prefer the floor jack. The transfer case I just restled into place.

Your spedo output should be on the rear of the transfer case on the rear driveline output shaft.

I use the oiled bronze pilot bearing instead of the needle roller POS.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

+1

I would separate the two if you are working by yourself in the driveway. The T case will make it not only heavier, but will throw the center of gravity off towards the front drive side. It may make everything more difficult to manuver.

I've seen some adapters to a floor jack that will support the transmission and allow you to strap it on. This would make it easier and safer.
    2012 Chevy 2500HD ECSB, 6.0L gas, auto, 4x4, LT
    2003 F450, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd stick, 2wd, dump truck
    1983 GMC K2500 pickup - working on a Cummins 5.9L swap
    1987 GMC K3500 Dump, 6.2L diesel, TH400 auto - project plow truck