Thread: 6.2 to a 6.5TD swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

And here's some more...just for fun. First off I used black iron to push the JIC fittings for the oil cooler lines out from the block, making them a little more accesible. Second, what the throttle cable modification and modified coolant thing thing from Kennedy diesel look like after I put it together, pretty clean I think. Third, The banks turbo kit is not quite the exact fit that my novice ass was hoping for. I ended up having to cut that pipe and having a piece of flex pipe welded in to give me the wiggle room needed to make it up. And last but not least, just a picture of the engine in the truck at this point. I've been holding off on the fan and radiator and such because I need that space to stand in still still. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    85 crew cab one ton, 4x4. 6.2 diesel w/ 4 speed manual. Ranger overdrive/gear splitter installed. 2" rough country lift kit.

3 and 3,
    Looks like some very nice work! Way to go!
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Hi 3x3
    The thread is right under this one now.
    It's called 98 electronic to mechanical swap
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Hi 3X3
    By your picture the oil lines look like they are close to the frame.
    How much space do you have under the lines where they cross over the frame?
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Yukon, I found the thread, thanks. It turned out looking very nice. I'm not set up for metal work though. I was cutting down my throttle cable bracket with a hacksaw. And there is very minimal space between the frame and the oil lines. I'm guessing that's going to be a problem and I'm going to have to revisit that?
    85 crew cab one ton, 4x4. 6.2 diesel w/ 4 speed manual. Ranger overdrive/gear splitter installed. 2" rough country lift kit.

3x3,
    Looks like you could use Black Iron elbows instead of the unions you used and maybe get away from the frame. Of course it is easy for us to "arm chair" advise!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Yeah Dave, looking at it maybe a 45 would even give some clearance. I figured the engine would ride with the frame and it wouldn't be an issue. The fact it got brought up leads me to believe I was mistaken. I'll probably cross my fingers and let it ride until the first oil change and change it up at that point. I haven't researched it yet, but I'm guessing I'll want to do an oil change within 500 miles, so it won't have to make it very long.
    T.John (I'm sensing that signing off is proper etiquette at this point)